[Grammar] Looking back at the situationh, I got very popular after I became the top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Englicon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#47569]Hi there. I am a long-time learner of English. [/FONT]

[FONT=&#47569]Here's the context. "The news of my defeat in the quarterfinal tennis game spread widely. I was disappointed with myself for losing. I was so embarrassed and angry. Looking back at the situation, I got very popular after I became the top player in the local high school ranking. But, as my ranking climbed, so did my fear of losing...." [/FONT]

[FONT=&#47569]I am wondering how this bold-typed participial phrase can be changed into a complete adverbial clause. I think this sentence can be rephrased into 'When I look back at the situation (now), I got very popular after I became the top player,‘ but some of my friends said that this sentence should be rephrased into 'When I looked back at the situation, I got very popular after I became the top player.' Judging from my understanding of grammar rules, this participial phrase is a kind of dangling participial phrase even though the subject of the main clause is the same as that of the participial phrase. [/FONT]
[FONT=&#47569]I know when we reduce an adverbial clause to a participial phrase, the tense of the verb in the adverbial clause must be agreed. But I have a feeling that the participial phrase mentioned above is matter-of-factly ungrammatical.[/FONT]

[FONT=&#47569]Somebody please help me! [/FONT]
[FONT=&#47569]Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums.

First, please help us by using the Edit Post button to separate the pairs of words which have been run together. When you have done that, click on Save.

Thank you.

Rover

Englicon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Sorry about the inconveniences I brought.

Status
Not open for further replies.