Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

Which tense is the most appropriate in the following context? If they are all possible, can you explain the difference in nuance?

A: I have broken your favourite vase. I'm so sorry.
B: Oh, no! What [did you do/have you done/were you doing]?

Thank you.

Nawee

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Which tense is the most appropriate in the following context? If they are all possible, can you explain the difference in nuance?

Thank you.

Nawee

Given the context and reaction of/at the moment, all three are likely responses with little difference in meaning and all expecting some explanation of how it happened. But "What were you doing?" is a more direct request for an explanation of the actions leading up to the accident.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

Thank you.

Nawee
For me, only "What were you doing?" makes sense.
"What have you done?" has just been answered. You normally ask a question before the answer is given.
"What did you do?" shares a similar problem to the above. He broke your vase. You know that.

More common would be a "How" question. "How did you manage to do that?!" "What were you doing" has the merits of including an implicit 'how'. "What were you doing that led to your breaking my vase?"

Status
Not open for further replies.