Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi teacher,

Please help me with bold phrases "well rounded" and "well grounded" and if possible, change the following sentences in another words so that it would be simpler to me.

The School believes in the development of well rounded educated individuals that are "well grounded" and ethically sound so as to be able to contribute actively to the community at large in a positive manner

thanks in advance

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In this context "well rounded" means "versatile" or "many-sided", that is having good (enough) knowledge of various subjects.

A "well grounded" individual has a working knowledge of a certain field.

All in all, the school tries to educate their students so that they have a broad enough knowledge of various subjects in their field, while at the same time the knowledge of those subjects is good enough to be used in practice.

If that didn't make it clear enough, just say so and I (or someone else, I'm sure) will elaborate some more.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "grounded" refers to having a working knowledge in this case. An individual who is grounded is "sensible and down-to-earth; having one's feet on the ground."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teacher,

Please help me with bold phrases "well rounded" and "well grounded" and if possible, change the following sentences in another words so that it would be simpler to me.

The School believes in the development of well rounded educated individuals that are "well grounded" and ethically sound so as to be able to contribute actively to the community at large in a positive manner

thanks in advance

I agree with Dave's take on "well-grounded". In this context it is associated with sound ethics.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think "grounded" refers to having a working knowledge in this case. An individual who is grounded is "sensible and down-to-earth; having one's feet on the ground."

I agree with Dave's take on "well-grounded". In this context it is associated with sound ethics.

Fair enough. Could you explain why you think that "well grounded" in this context doesn't mean "having a good basic understanding (of a certain field etc.)" because I don't see it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fair enough. Could you explain why you think that "well grounded" in this context doesn't mean "having a good basic understanding (of a certain field etc.)" because I don't see it.

Like Mike said, it is associated with "ethics" in this passage. You want a person who has a level head and good ethics. "Anding" ethics with a good background in a academic subject doesn't make sense.

And if you were to say someone was well-grounded in an academic field you would mention the field. You wouldn't talk in general about it. If they meant to say the students had a firm foundation in their chosen field, they would say something like "well-grounded in their fields of study."

Steve.nabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I thank you all (Carlo, Dave and Mike)

I got the overall meaning of the Text, even though I'm still a bit confused about "well grounded" and don't know which opinion is more correct,

However, I think the Text is not so good and common grammatically, do you agree?

the Original Text Come from the link
http://www.tanarata.net

Thank you again for taking your time

Steve.nabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thank you all for helping, I somewhat understood

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
thank you all for helping, I somewhat understood

If you only somewhat understood, what problems are you still having? We like to know that our answers have been completely understood.

Steve.nabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you only somewhat understood, what problems are you still having? We like to know that our answers have been completely understood.

Thanks a lot for your attention "emsr2d2"
I understood phrase 'well rounded' but i'm not sure enough about phrase 'well grounded', actually I can not judg about it and need some more clarification
Thanks again

[h=2][/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.