Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think this "would" denotes a habitual action in the past, right?

2p) Social campaigns have been organized to fight against child labor in India. However, they were not so successful because the Indian people did not feel (that) their actions could make much difference. To change people's attitude toward the issue, a new style of advertising was attempted. Instead of putting posters on walls, a life-size child's [statue/status] holding up a heavy box above his head [was/were] placed in several shopping malls. The box was connected to a donation box by a rope. On the donation box was written "Your [distribution / contribution] can end child labor." Putting money (into the donation box)would lift the heavy box from the child's hands The advertisement immediately drew attention from the people.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think this "would" denotes a habitual action in the past, right?

2p) Social campaigns have been organizedto fight against child labor in India. However, they were not so successful because the Indian people did not feel (that) their actions could make much difference. To change people's attitude toward the issue, a new style of advertising was attempted. Instead of putting posters on walls, a life-size child's [statue/status]holding up a heavy box above his head [was/were] placed in several shopping malls. The box was connected to a donation box by a rope. On the donation box was written "Your [distribution / contribution] can end child labor." Putting money (into the donation box)would lift the heavy box from the child's hands The advertisement immediately drew attention from the people.

No, not habitual action in the past. This is a form of a conditional sentence. If people donated money to the cause, children would no longer have to lift heavy boxes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
However, I'm assuming from your description that the heavy box really was lifted out of the statue's hands by the rope. If that was the case, then every time someone put money in the collection, the box lifted up. I would say that is a habitual action.

The money collected was used to help real children not have to carry real heavy boxes, but at the collection point it was a heavy box and a statue of a child.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
However, I'm assuming from your description that the heavy box really was lifted out of the statue's hands by the rope. If that was the case, then every time someone put money in the collection, the box lifted up. I would say that is a habitual action.

The money collected was used to help real children not have to carry real heavy boxes, but at the collection point it was a heavy box and a statue of a child.

Yes, from the description, that seems right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.