Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can "out of the blue" have the meaning of "out of the blue sea" as a metaphor? I have known it as "all of a sudden, without any premonition or notice".
Bethany rolls
along with the waves, [relaxing / relaxed] on her surfboard with her left arm [dangled / dangling] in the water.
Then her life takes a serious turn . A shark appears, literally , out of the blue, and [bite / bites] her arm off.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually it's a metaphor. In this case, it came from the ocean, so it was also literal.
(If it came without warning from the sky instead of the ocean, it would also be "out of the blue" in a literal sense.)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I was suggesting the translation result of the translator, and I thought the Korean translator made a mistake. But as you said, so does it have both the literal meaning of "coming from the blue sea" and the mephaphoric sense of "all of a sudden"?
Maybe I have to correct my stereotype notion of "out of the blue". This change came to me out of the blue.:oops:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's BOTH in this instance. She never saw the shark coming. It came from the sea.

If she were walking through the jungle and out of the blue a leopard took her arm instead of a shark, then it's just the metaphorical meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.