Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
about the phrase "as far as"
Last week,one of my friends sent his essay to me and he wanted me to correct the essay for him.Then I came across a sentence like this:As far as how to do for us to create a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future

I thought his intention is that the meaning of “as far as” here is similar to the phrase “as far as X is concerned” or “when it comes to”.

I know the secnond "as" can be a preposition or a conjunction.I thought the sentence is gramatically correct,however,I indeed did not know “as far as” can be used that way.Please tell me if it is right or wrong,and tell me more about this usage!

Thank U!

driftwood

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a subordinating clause beginning with a conjunction, as far as, you need a subject and its verb.

As far as we know how to create a campus in the future...

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
about the phrase "as far as"
As far as how to do for us to create a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future
This sentence is a mess. It's not even a sentence.
Regarding our creating a conservation-oriented campus, .... then the rest of the sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe "As far as what we need to do to create a conservation-oriented campus in the future goes, we are really not sure how to proceed from here".
Note that this construction involves "As far as ... goes, ..."

Mumuqi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
the complete sentence goes like this:As far as how to do for us to create a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future,to begin with,I harbor the idea that we have the duty to save electricity every day.
I thought the phrase cannot be used like "as far as X is concerned",am I right?
I thought the sentence should be like this:
As far as creating a Conservation-Oriented Campus is cencerned
or:
As far as the thought/proposal of creating a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future goes...
or:
As far as most of us have doubts about how to creat a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
the complete sentence goes like this:As far as how to do for us to create a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future,to begin with,I harbor the idea that we have the duty to save electricity every day.
As we've told you, "As far as how to do for us to ..." is completely incorrect.

I thought the phrase cannot be used like "as far as X is concerned". Am I right? No. "As far as xxx is concerned ..." is fine.

I thought the sentence should be like this:

As far as creating a Conservation-Oriented Campus is concerned ...
That's fine ...
or
As far as the thought/proposal of creating a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future goes.
"Thought" doesn't really work but "proposal" is OK.
or:
As far as most of us have doubts about how to creat a Conservation-Oriented Campus in the future...
No. This one would be "As much as most of have doubts ... we still think it will succeed.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.