Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi teachers,

My voice/throat is hoarse. It means I can't speak properly.
I have a sore throat. OR My throat is sore. It means I can't eat, swallow or drink properly. Am I right?

Many thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi teachers,

My voice/throat is hoarse. It means I can't speak properly.
I have a sore throat. OR My throat is sore. It means I can't eat, swallow or drink properly. Am I right?

Many thanks.
Hoarseness refers to the sound of the voice. Soreness refers to pain. They are completely different things, and they can occur together, or separately. If you tell someone you have a sore throat (in speech), they should know whether it's also hoarse or not. That is, hoarseness is a sign, while soreness is a symptom, as we say in medicine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might have a sore throat. You might have a hoarse voice. You might have both. You might have one or the other. You might have neither.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In short, you can't have either a sore voice or a hoarse throat.. ;-)

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In short, you can't have either a sore voice or a hoarse throat.. ;-)

b
How is the learner to interpret this, Bob?
ems says you can have one or the other: "You might have one or the other". And you say you can't have either one or the other.
I think I know what you mean, but many wouldn't.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
ems says you can have one or the other: "You might have one or the other". And you say you can't have either one or the other.

You can't have a hoarse throat. You can't have a sore voice. You can't have either one of them (meaning "You can have neither. Neither is possible").

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I don't see the problem. Sore doesn't collocate with voice; hoarse doesn't collocate with throat. This is because, as you said, soreness and hoarseness are different aspects of a problem which may or may not be associated. Nothing Ems said suggested that they did collocate. I think you're seeing a learner problem where there isn't one. (I might of course be wrong - ;-) but I don't see how my post could have been confusing.)

b

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't see the problem. Sore doesn't collocate with voice; hoarse doesn't collocate with throat. This is because, as you said, soreness and harseness are different aspects of a problem which may or may not be associated. Nothing Ems said suggested that they did collocate. I think you're seeing a learner problem where there isn't one. (I might of course be wrong - ;-) but I don't see how my post could have been confusing.)

b
Thanks Bob, ems has explained the point that I overlooked in your post, and I acknowledged that explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.