Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Thank you. I stand corrected. To me "the wife and me" just does not sound nice. The host greeted my wife and I just seems to flow nicer or as they now seem to say "more nice". The best one of these I heard the other day was when a news reader said that something was "more worse". Oh dear.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you. I stand corrected. To me "the wife and me" just does not sound nice. The host greeted my wife and I just seems to flow nicer
You can, of course, say what you wish. Our members, however, need to know that some people would regard the sentence I have underlined as sub-standard, and many teachers and examiners would mark it as a mistake - as they would have done when you and I were at school.

Esprit

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
After posting my last comment, I asked my wife what she thought, as her schooling was in South Africa as against mine in North London. She said that her English teacher said that one should never use the word 'me' in that context, but use the word I. So it would appear that both of our English teachers in the early 1950s were incorrect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
After posting my last comment, I asked my wife what she thought, as her schooling was in South Africa as against mine in North London. She said that her English teacher said that one should never use the word 'me' in that context, but use the word I. So it would appear that both of our English teachers in the early 1950s were incorrect.
I think it's more likely that the avoidance of 'Me and my wife'/My wife and me went to the party' was so hammered into you that you went to the extreme of thinking that 'My wife and me' was always incorrect. This hyper-correction is quite common.

I was at school in England through the 1950s, and I never heard a teacher fall into this trap. I have heard teachers educated later do it.

Esprit

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
I was wondering if you had a comment on my post regarding the use of the word Palls rather than Pales with respect to Palls into insignificance. When I search Palls it would appear that there are 9000 odd posts that agree with me, but there are far more that use the word Pales. I wonder where I can search to find the original use of the phrase and the word used?. Regards

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I came on the subway."
Both "I've got here on the subway" and "I got here on the subway" sound strange. But I'd prefer the second if you had to pick one of these. There's no need for the present perfect, just as you would not say, "I've come on the subway."
You are no longer on the subway. It's in the past. Use the past tense.

"I got here on the subway." This works in AmE, as does: "I got here by subway."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
However, it may make some people grimace.

Like me. I've always been an analytical lad, so I break it up: The host greeted me. Correct. The host greeted my wife. Correct. The host greeted me and my wife, or my wife and me. Correct, and correct.

The host greeted I. Only if you're Bob Marley.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear friends, I need help!
Situation: I want to tell a person, that I`ve spent a lot of time in subway to arrive to the place of meeting. So my opponent thinks that I can say - *I`ve got here by subway*, but I`m not quite sure, that this form is correct.
Please tell me, if it`s wrong :roll:

What kind of monster have you created Nataly? :-o But let me add to the "creation". First, in describing the "situation", you used the term "in subway". If you are referring to the underground facility it should be "in the subway", but if you are referring to passengers' vehicle, as I think you are, it should be "on the subway". That said and with regard to the speaker's statement, in AmE you would typically hear/read "I got here on the subway" or "by subway" or "I came on the subway" or "by subway". Finally, with regard to one of the several other responder's statement about the rule of never using "got", I must admit that I am a frequent violator of that "rule".

Nataly B

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I`m surprised :roll: so much discussion!
But I`m not quite sure, that I`ve got an answer.
I still don`t understand :turn-l:: "I've got here on the subway" - is it possible to use "`ve" in this example?

Many thanks for your attention)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Don't use it. It's possible to create a context where it might be said, but as many people said, it's not a natural sentence.

me2u

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear friends, I need help!
Situation: I want to tell a person, that I`ve spent a lot of time in subway to arrive to the place of meeting. So my opponent thinks that I can say - *I`ve got here by subway*, but I`m not quite sure, that this form is correct.
Please tell me, if it`s wrong :roll:

I came by subway.

I arrived by subway.

me2u

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I`m surprised :roll: so much discussion!
But I`m not quite sure, that I`ve got an answer.
I still don`t understand :turn-l:: "I've got here on the subway" - is it possible to use "`ve" in this example?

Many thanks for your attention)

No. You do not use "I've" or "got." One does not say, "I have got here..." Instead, it should be something like, "I arrived by subway." Or, "I came by subway."

PahaSapa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion "I took the subway" is the most natural if the statement is not only meant to convey by what means of transportation you arrived but also to imply why it may have taken longer than expected.

Furthermore if "I've got here" is proper it certainly sounds ghastly in its lack of naturalism.

Now you could say something like "I've gotten here a hundred times by subway, but its never taken this long!"

Keep in mind gotten is in the past. You could also say "I got here an hour ago" or "I got here by subway" but not "I've got here" UNLESS you said "I've got here by subway before" as in "I have (at one time) got here by subway"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.