Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
PNG
Current Location
United States
just to double check. does having a sweet tooth mean having sweet cravings? and if you tell somebody you got a bit of sweet tooth are you telling that person you just had a sweet craving. i told somebody that today and i'm wondering if i said it right. :-D. i'm really grateful this site exists so i don't have to go through the awkward moment of asking somebody. thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Someone who has a sweet tooth likes sweet things. I drink coffee black with no sugar, some people put four spoons of sugar in a cup- that's a sweet tooth. It doesn't mean a craving, but a preference.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Note that the phrase is: "got a bit of a sweet tooth".

Alex Thompson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It all sounds a bit insane: people who like sweet foods are someone just generally nicer than people who don't. It sounds like the latest example of dubious evolutionary psychology, but it's actually about how language subtly shapes our behavior.
A team of researchers from North Dakota State, Gettysburg College, and Saint Xavier University designed a series of five experiments to see how taste preferences related to behavior. One experiment showed participants that ate a sweet food like chocolate were more likely to volunteer to help somebody than those who had eaten a non-sweet food like a cracker. Another study revealed how people view the taste preferences of others. It turns out people tend to think those with a sweet tooth are more agreeable and helpful than others, and less likely to be neurotic or extroverted.... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.