[General] Please Proofread! (it is a translation form Latin) Thank you very much in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alouda

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Poland
Note that the law is not derived from the rule, but it is out of the law, which has been previously adopted, that the rule is formed. Thus, the rules of the Grammars are set up based on the use of the approving authors and writers, but the use is not defined by the precepts. The rule does indeed expound the law, which has previously been adopted, followed in particular cases and is of a more general and universal nature, in the shorter and simpler way possible. Someone objects that the Rule of Cato is establishing a new law. What the rule of Cato regulates is that the legacies, which are void from the beginning will not be validated with the lapse of time, even if the cause of the obstruction is removed. Respond to this objection that the rule in cases, which have been heretofore determined by the law, does not establish a new law, but concisely expounds what has been previously formulated. In cases that have not been hitherto determined the rule creates the law. Hence accept what is prescribed/objected by the Rule of Cato.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think I understand it less in English than I might have done in Latin!

Alouda

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Poland
I will also post the original text in Latin:

Nota, quod ex regula non sumatur jus, sed ex jure, quod prius erat receptum, regula constituatur. Quemadmodum Grammaticorum regulae ex usu probatorum authorum & scriptorum constant, non autem usus ex praeceptis. Regula namque jus, quod ante receptum est, & per singulas species observatum, id generaliter & in universum quale sit; breviter ac simpliciter quoad ejus fieri potest, exponit. Objiciet aliquis, Quod regula Catoniana novum jus constituat. Quae regula Catoninana tradit, quod legata quae ab initio sunt inutilia, tractu temporis non confirmantur, etiamsi causa impedimenti submoveatur.
Cui objectioni responde, quod regula in casibus prius a jure decisis, jus novum non constituat, sed quod ante constitutum erat, breviter enarrat. In casibus autem prius non decisis, regula jus facit. Et sic accipe, quod de regula Catoniana objicitur.

Best regards!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I should point out that I was being a little sarcastic. I don't understand Latin AT ALL! When I was at school, I was given the choice of studying either Latin or grammar. I chose grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.