Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Hi, Need help! we just moved to Singapore and I want to work as an English teacher here. I have done my B Ed but would like to equip myself with an extra qualification. Thinking of doing TESOL/DELTA/CELTA. Can anyone guide me as to which qualification will serve me better. How to find a job as an ESL teacher ? Where and how to look for jobs ? Many thanks! ES

eshashukla

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks for the prompt reply !

eshashukla

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I want to perfect my pronunciation and do not intend to start working for another 6 months as have a new born baby. If I need to choose between CELTA and DELTA - which one is the better choice given that one is diploma and the other is certificate. So sorry to bother you again, but your help is the only solace which I have in this new country. Thanks once again.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The CELTA is an entry-level course and the DELTA is meant for experienced teachers. If you can get on the DELTA with your qualifications, it may help you get jobs higher up the academic stream, but I don't know what experience you have. If you're interested in the DELTA, ask the centre if they'll accept you with your qualifications and experience.

eshashukla

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
thanks so much :)

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
A bachelor's degree in education wouldn't usually be enough to get you on the DELTA, because it requires at least 2 years of experience teaching adults after your initial qualifications. And when I was doing my CELTA, my trainer (also a DELTA examiner) recommended at least 3 years in two different teaching contexts (i.e. two different countries or two different types of students). A lot of the jobs I've seen advertised in Singapore are for children, so investing in a YL extension to the CELTA might also be useful. Otherwise, I expect you'll get some pretty interesting classes there, because lots of people come from all over Asia to learn English there. I really like where I am right now, but I sometimes wish I could teach a class full of different nationalities (if only to stop them speaking their native language).

Status
Not open for further replies.