Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 44
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    The Mars or Mars?

    Hi.
    I realize article 'the' should be used with unique things such as Mars, Sun, Mercury, etc. But is the a rule for when we shouldn't use 'the' to talk about the objects mentioned?
    Much obliged.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    re: The Mars or Mars?

    Quote Originally Posted by celtaflorida View Post
    Hi.
    I realize article 'the' should be used with unique things such as Mars, Sun, Mercury, etc. But is the a rule for when we shouldn't use 'the' to talk about the objects mentioned?
    Much obliged.
    The definite article should not be used with unique things like Mars and Mercury. It is used with sun because there are other suns in the universe.

  2. probus's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 2,334
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    re: The Mars or Mars?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The definite article should not be used with unique things like Mars and Mercury. It is used with sun because there are other suns in the universe.
    The is used with sun because there is only one sun from our point of view.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,057
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    ...and we write 'the moon' (uncapitalised) because it's a common noun meaning 'satellite' (our only one), unlike 'Ganymede' (one of the moons of Jupiter).

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 44
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    But shouldn't we use definite article if there is only one:
    The Pope is visiting Russia.
    The moon is very bright tonight.
    why then can't we "The Mercury is a small planet that is the closest to the sun in the solar system."


  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    Quote Originally Posted by celtaflorida View Post
    But shouldn't we use definite article if there is only one:
    The Pope is visiting Russia.
    The moon is very bright tonight.
    why then can't we "The Mercury is a small planet that is the closest to the sun in the solar system."

    Would you say "The celtaflorida lives in North America"?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,057
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    Quote Originally Posted by celtaflorida View Post

    Why then can't we say "The Mercury is a small planet that is the closest to the sun in the solar system."

    That's English for you.

    You can say 'The planet Mercury...' if you want to.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    The is used with sun because there is only one sun from our point of view.
    There is only one Mars and Mercury also.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,057
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    Like 'the moon' we say 'the sun' as it's a common noun, unlike Sol.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: The Mars or Mars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Like 'the moon' we say 'the sun' as it's a common noun, unlike Sol.
    I agree. There are many suns and many moons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] what is the language for the Mars ?
    By zzzusi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Sep-2012, 02:00
  2. To the Moon, to the Mars, to the Pluto?
    By iamtime in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2011, 11:41
  3. [Grammar] Mars Caves?
    By MosheDavid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2009, 03:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •