I did see the term to describe something. However........

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilyren

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,
I have ever read on the book the way to speak whenever you feel reluntant to pay for your friends or someone by saying and doing " fork the money to someone". However, I tried to confirm it with two of my foreign friends and they said " No" . They have never heard of this to describe it.
So I want to confirm with you about it. And is there any other way similar to the above saying that describes the same thing?

Thanks a lot.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,
I have [STRIKE]ever[/STRIKE] read [STRIKE]on the[/STRIKE] in a book the way to speak whenever you feel reluctant to pay for your friends or someone by saying and doing "fork the money to someone". However, I tried to confirm it with two of my foreign friends and they said "No". They have never heard of this phrase to describe it.
So I want to confirm with you about it. And is there any other way similar to the above saying that describes the same thing?
[Note: Not all errors fixed, especially in first sentence"]
Thanks a lot.
"fork the money to someone" means nothing to me. You can "fork up the money" or "fork over some money [to someone]". That means you do pay. You may or may not be reluctant to "fork up".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
`
Additionally, you can 'fork out' for the meal (pay for it).

Welcome to the forum, emilyren.

Please note that a better title would have been 'fork the money to someone'.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Rover

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,
I have ever read on the book the way to speak whenever you feel reluntant to pay for your friends or someone by saying and doing " fork the money to someone". However, I tried to confirm it with two of my foreign friends and they said " No" . They have never heard of this to describe it.

Thanks a lot.

Normally, with friends, we say "chip in". It is less aggressive than "fork over" or the other forks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Chip in" to me means to pay your share (possibly an equal share). "Fork out" simply means to pay.

My friends and I have all chipped in to buy an expensive present for David's 30th birthday.
I just forked out £12,000 for new windows for my flat.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Chip in" to me means to pay your share (possibly an equal share). "Fork out" simply means to pay.

My friends and I have all chipped in to buy an expensive present for David's 30th birthday.
I just forked out £12,000 for new windows for my flat.

Fork out is different from fork over.

Status
Not open for further replies.