• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default abandoned or emptied

One year, through a series of unhappy events, it all fell apart . I found myself homeless and alone. I had my truck and $56. I searched the countryside for some place I could rent for the cheapest possible amount. I came upon a shabby house four miles up a winding mountain road over the Potomac River in West Virginia. It was (abandoned/emptied) , full of broken glass and rubbish. I found the owner ,rented it, and cleared a corner to camp in.

1. Is "for the cheapest possible amount" a natural collocation? I thought "for the lowest possible amount" would be better. We say a low price instead of a cheap price, don't we?

2. Is the road vertically above a river if a road is over the river?

3. The answer is "abandoned". But if it is an abandoned house, why should I rent the house? Can I choose "emptied " instead?

Thanks!

Jason

probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: abandoned or emptied

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    One year, through a series of unhappy events, it all fell apart . I found myself homeless and alone. I had my truck and $56. I searched the countryside for some place I could rent for the cheapest possible amount. I came upon a shabby house four miles up a winding mountain road over the Potomac River in West Virginia. It was (abandoned/emptied) , full of broken glass and rubbish. I found the owner ,rented it, and cleared a corner to camp in.

1. Is "for the cheapest possible amount" a natural collocation? I thought "for the lowest possible amount" would be better. We say a low price instead of a cheap price, don't we? A very natural phrase would be "as cheaply as possible." I agree that lowest price is more common than cheapest price, but the latter is also heard.

2. Is the road vertically above a river if a road is over the river?

To me it is ambiguous. I think he means above the river, but it might also mean that the road crosses the river.

3. The answer is "abandoned". But if it is an abandoned house, why should I rent the house? Can I choose "emptied " instead?

No. Emptied does not work and abandoned is good usage. You could also say vacant house.

Thanks!

Jason
    Last edited by probus; 28-Jun-2013 at 05:15.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: abandoned or emptied

"Over the river" here means "on the other side of the Potomac River". I would assume that the writer's location for most of that piece was on one side of the Potomac River but when he did find somewhere to rent, it turned out to be on the other side of the river from where he was. Even if there were a road over a river, it's unlikely that houses would be built on that road.

"Abandoned" is fine. It can still be owned by someone, they have just let it fall into disrepair and it probably needs a lot of work but it's still abandoned.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.