Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you give me some advice? I am now highly motivated to augment my vocabulary though broad reading. I am trying Poe's short stories as part of my reading materials. (I also read newspaper, magazine, and history book) His works are generally praised, and a Chinese movie star once said when she went to the US to take an English training course, the tutor used Poe's texts. But his works were wriiten more than 150 years ago, and some of vocabulary are said to be out-of-date. So are they worth intense study? Would reading works composed in the last few decades be a better choice for my purpose? Thank you.:)

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you give me some advice? I am now highly motivated to augment my vocabulary though broad reading. I am trying Poe's short stories as part of my reading materials. (I also read newspaper, magazine, and history book) His works are generally praised, and a Chinese movie star once said when she went to the US to take an English training course, the tutor used Poe's texts. But his works were wriiten more than 150 years ago, and some of vocabulary are said to be out-of-date. So are they worth intense study? Would reading works composed in the last few decades be a better choice for my purpose? Thank you.:)
When Poe (Edgar Allen Poe, not Elan) wrote, few people could read. Those who could read were probably taught more about classical literature than is taught today. To truly understand Poe's poetry it is necessary to understand the various references he made to both the ancient Roman and Greek cultures. If you are only interested in gaining a wider vocabulary you should read more modern books. If you want to learn more about the history of literature and are willing to spend years in this study, then reading Poe may be a worthwhile endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.