Advice on'getting back into' teaching EFL several years after doing a CELTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leila2013

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Italy
Hi, I apologise if this isn't in the correct forum but wondered if anyone could help. I did a CELTA back in 2005, but haven't really taught EFL apart from the odd informal lesson for friends in Italy. I would now like to start offering private English lessons in Italy, since we visit the country regularly for extended periods and in the area we travel to there is no provision outside of the state school system. I know I'm very rusty at teaching, though. I wondered if anyone could suggest a good way of getting back into it while I am in the UK. I wondered about doing some volunteer teaching assistant work at a language school - is that ever on offer, does anyone know? Or is there a refresher course for CELTA graduates? Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
I think a lot of people who want to learn English will be happy to pay a native speaker for conversation practice. You don't really need a formal teaching method to do this. You just listen to them speak and correct their pronunciation and grammar as you go along. Even though these people live in a country full of native speakers, many of them are too shy or lack the opportunities to practice with native speakers. If you were to volunteer, your time, you would have a lot of takers.

As for teaching in Italy, find some Italians where you live, help them with their English, and have them record a short video testimonial (in Italian) about how you helped them improve their English. Compile these testimonials into a video that you can post online. This a great marketing tool.

"Leila helped me improve my English so much! I highly recommend her! Thanks Leila!"

Testimonials like this will help you find private lesson work in Italy.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you search for volunteer ESOL + place, there are opportunities around.

Status
Not open for further replies.