Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I would like to ask a native speaker to take a look at these sentences and see if they're correct in English or not. They're just from a piece of writing that I wrote.

1- I remember last year, one of my best friends was graduating from university and I was supposed to throw a surprising graduation party for her at her own place. (Is it correct to say sb was graduating from university?)

2- The only person being aware of this was her mother.

3- I was suddenly aroused by her mom's call. (here I want to say I overslept and I suddenly woke up but I don't wanna use woke up I want another word if you know what I mean!, Can I say arouse? or it's not used like this in English?)

Thank you very much in advance
Mary

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1- I remember last year, one of my best friends was graduating from university and I was supposed to throw a surprise graduation party for her at her [own] place.

2- The only person [being] aware of this was her mother.

3- I was suddenly aroused (roused/woken/awoken) by her mom's call.

Aroused means to be made excited in some way, when already awake.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How is this a question from a native English speaker when your profile says your native language is Persian?

Please go back and use the Edit Post feature to change 'wanna' to 'want to'.

Rover

MaryamAbbasi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Rover,
I'm sorry. By "from" I meant "for". I'm not native, I wanted a native speaker to answer my question, I made a mistake.

MaryamAbbasi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply. :)

MaryamAbbasi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How is this a question from a native English speaker when your profile says your native language is Persian?

Please go back and use the Edit Post feature to change 'wanna' to 'want to'.

Rover

I've corrected it and changed it to want to. Now could you please comment on my question? I would like to know your opinion. thanks a lot

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, I would like to ask a native speaker to take a look at these sentences and see if they're correct in English or not. They're just from a piece of writing that I wrote.

1- I remember last year, one of my best friends was graduating from university and I was supposed to throw a [STRIKE]surprising[/STRIKE] surprise graduation party for her at her [STRIKE]own[/STRIKE] place. (Is it correct to say sb was graduating from university?)
- Yes, it's fine to say that someone is "graduating from university". It is possible to graduate from other institutions so it's good to be specific.
- We throw a "surprise party", not a "surprising party".

2- The only person being aware of this was her mother.
In the right context, that sounds fine to me.

3- I was suddenly aroused by her mom's call. (here I want to say I overslept and I suddenly woke up but I don't wanna use woke up I want another word if you know what I mean!, Can I say arouse? or it's not used like this in English?)
No! Don't used "aroused" like this unless you want a few people to laugh. Whilst it is true that you arouse someone from their sleep, the most common meaning of the word "arouse" is sexual. You really don't want to say that you became sexually excited by a call from someone's mother! Say "I was suddenly awoken by ..."

Thank you very much in advance.
Mary

See my comments above in red.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Maryam, instead of sending your thanks in a separate message and quoting our replies back to us, just click the Like button, please.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you.

Rover​

Status
Not open for further replies.