• Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I was told that you should have tried

Hi

Thanks for the answers in connection with my latest question! They were really useful!

Here I have an another question.

Imagine a phone conversation in a hotel which is about an advice given by the receptionist to the guest that he will have to try to connect to a wi-fi link if he wants to have internet.

The main part of the conversation is the following:

I was told that you should have tried/try to connect to one of the links provided

My question concerns the future situation,because somehow i can't imagine to tell someone a future situation in the past it's more natural to me to express the situation with "you should try" and not with "you should have tried"

this is the reason why I used the following at least:I was told that you would have to try to connect to....

It seemed to me the most natural way to express it.Was I right about it? Thanks for your answers:)

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I was told that you should have tried

Quote Originally Posted by Ryepower92 View Post

Imagine a phone conversation in a hotel which is about an advice given by the receptionist to the guest that he will have to try to connect to a wi-fi link if he wants to have internet.

The main part of the conversation is the following:

"I was told that you should have tried/try to connect to one of the links provided."

My question concerns the future situation, because somehow I can't imagine how to tell someone a future situation in the past. It's more natural to me to express the situation with "you should try" and not with "you should have tried"

This is the reason why I used the following at least: "I was told that you would have to try to connect to ..."

It seemed to me the most natural way to express it. Was I right? about it? Thanks for your answers. :)
    I am confused about who is speaking the line you are having problems with.

If it is the hotel guest, then he would say "I was told [by the receptionist] that I should have tried/I should try to connect to the internet using the WiFi connection".
    If it's the receptionist, then he/she would say "I told the guest that he should have tried/he should try to connect to the internet using the WiFi connection".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.