Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Want to know if I am correct for this: "as well as" cannot be used like a conjunction like "and", here are few examples:

    1) Japan suffers from earthquakes as well as tsunamis. (correct: "as well as" serves like "in addition to" here. And since there are only 2 nouns, it must be placed between them.)

    2) Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis. (incorrect: because "as well as" is used like a conjunction here i.e. and. It still means "in addition to". There should be an "and" to replace the comma between earthquakes and volcano eruptions. It is because the last two items i.e. volcano eruptions and tsunamis are just connected by the adverb "as well as". So the conjunction i.e. "and" should be used between the first two items i.e. earthquakes and volcano eruptions, which are not connected together.
    Last edited by kachibi; 02-Jul-2013 at 16:56.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Look again at "Japan is suffered from ..." Are you sure that's correct? Edit your post to use the correct form and then we can look at the rest.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Done, kindly take a look. Thanks.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Quote Originally Posted by kachibi View Post
    Want to know if I am correct for this: "as well as" cannot be used like a conjunction like "and", here are few examples:

    1) Japan suffers from earthquakes as well as tsunamis. (correct: "as well as" serves like "in addition to" here. And since there are only 2 nouns, it must be placed between them.)

    2) Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis. (incorrect: because "as well as" is used like a conjunction here i.e. and. It still means "in addition to". There should be an "and" to replace the comma between earthquakes and volcano eruptions. It is because the last two items i.e. volcano eruptions and tsunamis are just connected by the adverb "as well as". So the conjunction i.e. "and" should be used between the first two items i.e. earthquakes and volcano eruptions, which are not connected together.

    1) is correct.
    2) You are correct. It should be "Japan experiences earthquakes and volcanoes as well as tsunamis".

    I would use "experiences" rather than "suffers from", and I don't really think that a country either suffers or experiences volcanoes. Earthquakes and tsunamis are things that happen. Volcanoes exist. Volcanic eruptions happen.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  3. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,421
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    For #2, I believe you could use both: "Japan suffers (not sure about "from") earthquakes and volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis".
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

  4. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 1,952
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    1) is correct.
    2) You are correct. It should be "Japan experiences earthquakes and volcanoes as well as tsunamis".

    I would use "experiences" rather than "suffers from", and I don't really think that a country either suffers or experiences volcanoes. Earthquakes and tsunamis are things that happen. Volcanoes exist. Volcanic eruptions happen.
    ems! Look! That's 'volcano eruptions'!

    Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis. (incorrect: because (...))


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,042
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    ems! Look! That's 'volcano eruptions'!



    'Volcanic eruptions' is just fine.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    ems! Look! That's 'volcano eruptions'!



    I'm not sure what your point was but "volcanic eruptions" is the natural way of saying it.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 1,952
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: A sentence with "and" and "as well as"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm not sure what your point was but "volcanic eruptions" is the natural way of saying it.
    I'm sorry I made a rather mysterious remark.

    What I meant was this:

    kachibi wrote (in #1): " 2) Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis."
    However,
    You rewrote (in #5): "Japan experiences earthquakes and volcanoes as well as tsunamis."

    My point is that kachibi wrote 'volcano eruptions', not 'volcanoes'.

    Please forget it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2012, 05:23
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 20:53
  3. Defining "Street," "Road," "Avenue," "Boulevard"
    By ahumphreys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 08:14
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 09:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 20:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •