Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Want to know if I am correct for this: "as well as" cannot be used like a conjunction like "and", here are few examples:

1) Japan suffers from earthquakes as well as tsunamis. (correct: "as well as" serves like "in addition to" here. And since there are only 2 nouns, it must be placed between them.)

2) Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis. (incorrect: because "as well as" is used like a conjunction here i.e. and. It still means "in addition to". There should be an "and" to replace the comma between earthquakes and volcano eruptions. It is because the last two items i.e. volcano eruptions and tsunamis are just connected by the adverb "as well as". So the conjunction i.e. "and" should be used between the first two items i.e. earthquakes and volcano eruptions, which are not connected together.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Look again at "Japan is suffered from ..." Are you sure that's correct? Edit your post to use the correct form and then we can look at the rest.

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Done, kindly take a look. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Want to know if I am correct for this: "as well as" cannot be used like a conjunction like "and", here are few examples:

1) Japan suffers from earthquakes as well as tsunamis. (correct: "as well as" serves like "in addition to" here. And since there are only 2 nouns, it must be placed between them.)

2) Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis. (incorrect: because "as well as" is used like a conjunction here i.e. and. It still means "in addition to". There should be an "and" to replace the comma between earthquakes and volcano eruptions. It is because the last two items i.e. volcano eruptions and tsunamis are just connected by the adverb "as well as". So the conjunction i.e. "and" should be used between the first two items i.e. earthquakes and volcano eruptions, which are not connected together.

1) is correct.
2) You are correct. It should be "Japan experiences earthquakes and volcanoes as well as tsunamis".

I would use "experiences" rather than "suffers from", and I don't really think that a country either suffers or experiences volcanoes. Earthquakes and tsunamis are things that happen. Volcanoes exist. Volcanic eruptions happen.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
For #2, I believe you could use both: "Japan suffers (not sure about "from") earthquakes and volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis".

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
1) is correct.
2) You are correct. It should be "Japan experiences earthquakes and volcanoes as well as tsunamis".

I would use "experiences" rather than "suffers from", and I don't really think that a country either suffers or experiences volcanoes. Earthquakes and tsunamis are things that happen. Volcanoes exist. Volcanic eruptions happen.

ems! Look! That's 'volcano eruptions'!

Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis. (incorrect: because (...))

:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
ems! Look! That's 'volcano eruptions'!

:-D

I'm not sure what your point was but "volcanic eruptions" is the natural way of saying it.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'm not sure what your point was but "volcanic eruptions" is the natural way of saying it.

I'm sorry I made a rather mysterious remark.
:oops:
What I meant was this:

kachibi wrote (in #1): " 2) Japan suffers from earthquakes, volcano eruptions as well as tsunamis."
However,
You rewrote (in #5): "Japan experiences earthquakes and volcanoes as well as tsunamis."

My point is that kachibi wrote 'volcano eruptions', not 'volcanoes'.

Please forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.