Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does ' how much space are you going to allocate in your paper' sound natural?

If you should write a 1500 word essay, how much space are you going to allocate to define ' externalites' for your economic essay? Are you gong to use 10 lines or 1 paragrph to define ' externalities'?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

If you should write a 1500 word essay, how much space are you going to allocate to define ' externalites' for your economics essay? Are you going to use 10 lines or 1 paragraph to define ' externalities'?
Yes, it's OK.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Remember that we do not put a space after an opening quotation mark. So it should say:

Does 'How much space are you going to allocate ...' sound natural?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Funny, I found it a tad too wordy, and it sounded sort of strange to my ear when read aloud. :-?
Certainly the whole sentence could be improved upon. But I don't think, "How much space are you going to allocate in your paper to defining 'externalites'?" could be said to be unacceptable. I didn't say it was perfect. It's OK.
If you mean the "
If you should write a 1500 word essay,..." part, then I agree; it's strange. But that wasn't the question. I don't feel constrained to correct all the errors in a post. Sometimes I do. You can have a go at making a perfect sentence out of it if you want.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Certainly the whole sentence could be improved upon. But I don't think, "How much space are you going to allocate in your paper to defining 'externalites'?" could be said to be unacceptable. I didn't say it was perfect. It's OK.
If you mean the "
If you should write a 1500 word essay,..." part, then I agree; it's strange. But that wasn't the question. I don't feel constrained to correct all the errors in a post. Sometimes I do. You can have a go at making a perfect sentence out of it if you want.

I was not in the least trying to question your opinion; after all, you are a native speaker, while I'm not. I just mentioned that, as it stood, it sounded strage to me, not that it was at all incorrect. Sorry if I gave that impression :oops:.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was not in the least trying to question your opinion; after all, you are a native speaker, while I'm not. I just mentioned that, as it stood, it sounded strage to me, not that it was at all incorrect. Sorry if I gave that impression :oops:.
No, you didn't give that impression. I wasn't questioning your opinion either - just explaining why I said it was OK.
I agree that the second sentence as a whole is strange, and I was genuinely inviting you to improve on it.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

If you should write a 1500 word essay, how much space would you allocate to define 'externalites' for your economics essay? Do you think 10 lines would suffice/be enough to define them?

I feel since the modal "should is used at the beginning, a conditional would fit better in the rest of the text. And since there is, IMO, no possible ambiguity, I would stick to "them" rather than repeat "externalities".

Criticism is welcome ;-)

PS: I omitted "1 paragraph" on purpose. Indeed 10 lines could make a good one, and many have less!

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I feel since the modal "should is used at the beginning, a conditional would fit better in the rest of the text. And since there is, IMO, no possible ambiguity, I would stick to "them" rather than repeat "externalities".

Criticism is welcome ;-)

PS: I omitted "1 paragraph" on purpose. Indeed 10 lines could make a good one, and many have less!
I think "should" is wrong. A situation in which you should write a paper wouldn't be common. You usually need to, or have to.
I'd write something like this:
If you had to write a 1500 word economics essay, how much space would you allocate to define 'externalities'? Do you think 10 lines would be enough to define this?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
A situation in which you should write a paper wouldn't be common. You usually need to, or have to.

Too true. Missed that one :oops:.

Status
Not open for further replies.