Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

For example, if I am a racist, but I want to hide my misdeed, so I call another person racist instead (in fact, he is NOT a racist), using my sophistry to mislead the other people to think that the other person is a racist instead.

Is there any English expression or idioms to describe such behavior? "The pot calling the kettle black" seems to be describing both of us are "racists" rather than I make up unwarranted accusation.

Please advise

Regards

Anthony the learner

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I trust that you understand that "the pot calling the kettle black" has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

As far as your scenario is concerned, am I correct in saying that you want an idiom for diverting the attention/blame for something away from yourself and onto another person?

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I trust that you understand that "the pot calling the kettle black" has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

As far as your scenario is concerned, am I correct in saying that you want an idiom for diverting the attention/blame for something away from yourself and onto another person?

Yes EMSR. Because there is a Chinese saying that, the person who accuses others (usually no evidence) of some misdeed/wrongdoing, is actually the person who has done that kind of misdeed. Eg, when someone accuses another person of being a racist, there is a high chance that the accuser is actually a racist, and the accused is not....

Thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't have an idiom for you but want to make sure you know that your scenario is NOT right for the pot/kettle one. That is used when both have the fault, or at least the person saying the thing believes it's true that the other person has that fault, but the "accuser" seems unaware of the irony of pointing out the fault in the other.

It would be like me complaining that 5jj makes a lot of typos.

I don't think we have a handy idiom for your scenario this in our culture because it's so transparent and should be easy to prove the false nature if the claim. In psychology it's called projection.

The only example is the harmless and amusing attempt to lay blame for passing gas on another when you could retort, "He who smelt it dealt it."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It would be like me complaining that 5jj makes a lot of typos.
Htat wuould inded be the top calling the kattle blak.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes EMSR. Because there is a Chinese saying that, the person who accuses others (usually no evidence) of some misdeed/wrongdoing, is actually the person who has done that kind of misdeed. Eg, when someone accuses another person of being a racist, there is a high chance that the accuser is actually a racist, and the accused is not....

Thanks

Barb is right that "projection" is the best term for this.

This concept is not unique to China. There is a local talk show host who often states that if you want to know what a politician is up to, you need to listen to what he is accusing his political enemies of.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Schoolchildren in Canada have an idiom that has a similar meaning (regarding flatulence): "The one who smelt it, dealt it." I'm not sure if this is very helpful here.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another schoolyard taunt (that is specific neither to racists nor to flatulence) is 'It takes one to know one'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.