• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default entail

Hi, I just came across a new word “entail”, and by looking it up found that it meant “to cause”. Could you tell me that in the following sentences what makes “entail” a better diction than the others?

1. Such a decision would entail a huge political risk in the midst of the presidential campaign.
    Can entail be replaced by cause?

2. the sense of independence and freedom that ownership entails.
    Can entail be replaced by provide or give rise to?

Thank you.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: entail

Quote Originally Posted by victor su View Post
    Hi, I just came across a new word “entail”, and by looking it up found that it meant “to cause”. Could you tell me that in the following sentences what makes “entail” a better diction than the others?

1. Such a decision would entail a huge political risk in the midst of the presidential campaign.
    Can entail be replaced by cause?

2. the sense of independence and freedom that ownership entails.
    Can entail be replaced by provide or give rise to?

Thank you.
    I really wouldn't say that "entails" means "to cause". In neither of your sentences would "cause" work as an alternative. In both of them, "require" would be an adequate replacement. If you change them to "cause", you change the meaning completely, especially the first. In the second, if you change it to "provide" or "give rise to", you wil also change the meaning. In the first case, the word "entail" shows that something is required to be true or to be happening before/during something else.

1. A huge risk would have to be taken in the middle of the presidential campaign in order to make such a decision.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.