Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. That policeman is a son of Mr Taylor's.
2. That policeman is a son of Mr Taylor.

Are there any differences in the above sentences?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. That policeman is a son of Mr Taylor's.
2. That policeman is a son of Mr Taylor.

Are there any differences in the above sentences?

Thanks.
Yes, there is a difference. #1 is incorrrect. To show possession the sentence would have to be something like, "That policeman is Mr. Taylor's son". If spoken, the first sentence would sound as though the father was Mr. Taylors and in the second sentence the father would be Mr. Taylor.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, there is a difference. #1 is incorrrect. To show possession the sentence would have to be something like, "That policeman is Mr. Taylor's son". If spoken, the first sentence would sound as though the father was Mr. Taylors and in the second sentence the father would be Mr. Taylor.

Thanks Gillnetter

If we say "He is a son of Mr Taylor's", is it correct?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That policeman is a friend of mine. A friend of his. I wonder whether "1" is really incorrect, or just so uncommon as to sound odd?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That policeman is a friend of mine. A friend of his. I wonder whether "1" is really incorrect, or just so uncommon as to sound odd?
Beyond the fact that it would be overworking the sense of possessiveness, it would have the effect of changing the name from Taylor to Taylors. There is no way that someone hearing #1 would know that a possessive is being used. You could say, "A car of my father's" and it would be understood.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Unless someone was an adopted son of two gay fathers.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
There is no universal agreement on this issue. As you can tell from this thread, this is a hotly debated topic. See also:

"Despite their apparent redundancy, double genitive constructions such as a friend of ours or no fault of Jo's are established English idiom. Grammarians since C18 have puzzled over the way the construction iterates the of genitive with a genitive inflection on the following pronoun or personal noun."
(Pam Peters, The Cambridge Guide to English Usage. Cambridge Univ. Press, 2004)

A Subtle Difference
"To say you're a friend of Greg's means that Greg looks upon you as a friend. To say you're a friend of Greg means that you look upon Greg as a friend. A subtle difference. It seems that the addition of -s to . . . Greg is a way of focusing attention on [this person] as having a more active role in the relationship being expressed. Double possession has given us a way to express quite fine distinctions that we couldn't convey before. The extra marking is not overkill in this case."
(Kate Burridge, Weeds in the Garden of Words: Further Observations on the Tangled History of the English Language. Cambridge University Press, 2005)

Purists and Language Liberals
"A good many of us do use some double genitives and do not notice that they are double. Some language liberals argue that in informal and casual contexts the double genitive is idiomatic and not overkill, but few editors of Standard English will be likely to let it stand in formal writing. It's either friends of my sister or my sister's friends; even in conversation, friends of my sister's may grate harshly on some purists' ears."
(Kenneth Wilson, The Columbia Guide to Standard American English, 1993)

"The double possessive is a matter of some controversy. Some insist that constructions like 'a friend of Bill's' are redundant and therefore should be avoided. Others see 'an old pal of mine' and extrapolate that, because you'd never say 'an old pal of me,' you also must reject 'a friend of Bill.'

"I say trust your ear over either dogma. 'A friend of Bill's' probably is better . . .."
(Bill Walsh, Yes, I Could Care Less: How to Be a Language Snob Without Being a Jerk. St. Martin's Press, 2013)

http://grammar.about.com/od/d/g/doublegenterm.htm
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/double-possessive.aspx

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Beyond the fact that it would be overworking the sense of possessiveness, it would have the effect of changing the name from Taylor to Taylors.
No. If the surname were Taylors, the final syllable of "a son of Mr Taylors's" would be pronounced /ɪz/, so there would be no ambiguity. If "a friend of mine" and "a friend of my father's" are acceptable - and they are - then "a friend of Mr Taylor's" is.
There is no universal agreement on this issue.
"The double possessive is a matter of some controversy. Some insist that constructions like 'a friend of Bill's' are redundant and therefore should be avoided. Others see 'an old pal of mine' and extrapolate that, because you'd never say 'an old pal of me,' you also must reject 'a friend of Bill.'
It is a matter of some controversy mainly among those prescriptivists who cannot get it into their heads that this 'double genitive' is a natural part of English.

[...] the postmodifier must be definite and human. [...]
There are conditions that also affect the head of the whole noun phrase.
The head must be essentially indefinite: that is, the head must be seen as one of an unspecified number of items attributed to the postmodifier. Thus [1-3] but not [4]:

1. A friend of the doctor's has arrived.
2. A daughter of Ms Brown's has arrived.
3. Any daughter of Mrs brown's is welcome.
4. *The daughter of Mrs Brown's has arrived.

Quirk et al (1985.1283)

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To my ear the first sounds more natural, and I think it the more commonly used of the two, at least where I live.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

konungursvia

VIP Member