Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Instrukcija4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

    • Join Date: Jul 2012
    • Posts: 36
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    to be in cards for

    Could you help me? I am not able to understand bold sentence:

    - I don't want to see another woman. Ever again.
    - I am almost resigned a woman isn't in the cards for you. But because this is isnt' about you or your unexplicable personal choices, I have to insist.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,421
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: to be in cards for

    I feel inclined to give you my opinion, even with lack of some more context.

    As I read it, the cards referred to here are Tarot cards or the like. The second speaker is saying that the cards show no prospect of a romantic relationship appearing in them.

    But then I might be completely off the track here...
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Jul-2013 at 18:58. Reason: Changing 'perspective' to 'prospect'.
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,124
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: to be in cards for

    Quote Originally Posted by charliedeut View Post
    I feel inclined to give you my opinion, even with lack of some more context.

    As I read it, the cards referred to here are Tarot cards or the like. The second speaker is saying that the cards show no prospect of a romantic relationship appearing in them.

    But then I might be completely off the track here...
    Not too far off the track. "To be in the cards" is an idiom meaning "likely to happen". The expression is derived from the use of Tarot cards.

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,555
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: to be in cards for

    It is not your destiny. It's not going to be part of your future.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: to be in cards for

    Quote Originally Posted by Instrukcija4 View Post
    Could you help me? I am not able to understand bold sentence:

    - I don't want to see another woman. Ever again.
    - I am almost resigned a woman isn't in the cards for you. But because this is isnt' about you or your unexplicable personal choices, I have to insist.

    Thank you in advance.
    The idiom has been explained perfectly. However, "I am almost resigned a woman ..." is incorrect. It might say "I am almost resigned to the fact that a woman ..." or "I am almost convinced [that] a woman ...". In the second half of your second part, you have typed "... because this is isn't about you ...". Was that a typo in the original or did you copy it incorrectly?

    Also, in BrE, you are far more likely to hear that something is/is not "on the cards" with the same meaning - it is unlikely to happen in the future.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. Instrukcija4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

    • Join Date: Jul 2012
    • Posts: 36
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: to be in cards for

    Oh, yes. It was this isn't about you... ​. Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: to be in cards for

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Also, in BrE, you are far more likely to hear that something is/is not "on the cards" with the same meaning - it is unlikely to happen in the future.
    I think this may be a gambling reference in BrE rather than tarot- horseracing (I think).

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,124
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: to be in cards for

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think this may be a gambling reference in BrE rather than tarot- horseracing (I think).
    Interesting!

Similar Threads

  1. Cards
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2009, 17:44
  2. How to name cards
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2009, 09:04
  3. on the cards
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2007, 14:45
  4. greetings cards
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Dec-2006, 18:40
  5. house of cards
    By MW in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2006, 16:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •