[Vocabulary] is this use of 'literally' correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierchang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do I use 'literally' correctly or naturally in this sentence? 'Because of the reasons above, we can literally make more friends by joining the club'

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are no grammatical mistakes, but it is not a natural thing to say.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do I use 'literally' correctly or naturally in this sentence? 'Because of the reasons above, we can literally make more friends by joining the club'

One of my many "irritations" when it comes to language is the use, or misuse, of the term "literally", especially by media broadcasters. The term should be reserved for use with metaphors. Such as in "The kidnapped young women were literally held in prison by the man who kept them locked in his home for ten years" or "The animal shelter's second floor windows were shattered and it was literally raining cats and dogs for a brief time". And so my question to you, javierchang would be, does the term literally really add anything in terms of meaning to your statement?

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Not unless you made your friends out of e.g. cardboard...:)

javierchang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So what adverb can I use to replace 'literally' to emphasize the degree that by joining the club we can indeed and surely make more friends? Can you recommend some like 'reliably' or 'genuinely' for me?(I am not sure whether 'reliably' or 'genuinely' is proper here...)

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will surely...
You will certainly ...
You are sure to ...
You are certain to ...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My grandmother (mis)used the word "literally" with abandon. In fact, now that she's dead, whenever anyone mentions her, someone in our family is bound to say, in a rather affected voice "Quite literally​, darling!"

Status
Not open for further replies.