Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I know that a Mother's day is a correct way of writing and then if someone like me writes a Mothers' day, do you native English speakers understand it the same as a Mother's day or differently from it? And if it means a different one, what is it?

Thank you so much as usual and have a good day.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know that a Mother's day is a correct way of writing and then if someone like me writes a Mothers' day, do you native English speakers understand it the same as a Mother's day or differently from it? And if it means a different one, what is it?

Thank you so much as usual and have a good day.

First of all, no article (a) before Mother's day. Were I to see it written as "Mothers' Day, I would understand it and recognize it as an error.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you so much for the clear and fast reply and I have another question for you.

Mother's generation / Mothers' generation

I think that in this case, the latter one is a correct way of writing. Is there a reason or a meaning difference between them?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much for the clear and fast reply and I have another question for you.

Mother's generation / Mothers' generation

I think that in this case, the latter one is a correct way of writing. Is there a reason or a meaning difference between them?

Without a context, it is impossible to choose. In the first case, Mother is singular; in the second it is plural.

Status
Not open for further replies.