Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi everyone,

I have to teach my class ( Upper Intermediate) a lesson on relative clauses, especially where the relative pronoun is dropped. ( Eg. This is the shirt ( that) I'm going to wear.

Why is the relative pronoun not dropped in sentences with when ( time) and where ( place) . E.g's

December is the month when i usually go on holiday. ( December is the month I usually go on holiday sounds ok to me!)

January is the month when we celebrate the harvest season in India.

Goa is the place where I always feel relaxed.

Can someone clarify please?

Thanks,

Greystroke

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone,

I have to teach my class ( Upper Intermediate) a lesson on relative clauses, especially where the relative pronoun is dropped. ( Eg. This is the shirt ( that) I'm going to wear.

Why is the relative pronoun not dropped in sentences with when ( time) and where ( place) . E.g's

December is the month when i usually go on holiday. ( December is the month I usually go on holiday sounds ok to me!)

Thanks,

Greystroke

Hello, greystroke.:-D

Well, all I can say is that 'when' and 'where' are relative adverbs, not relative pronouns.
When the relative pronoun functions as the object in the relative clause, it can be omitted.

"This is the shirt (that) I'm going to wear." - 'that' functions as the object in the relative clause.
If you split the sentence into two, it will be easier to understand:
"This is the shirt." "I'm going to wear it."

I hope you'll understand what I mean.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,

I have to teach my class (Upper Intermediate) a lesson on relative clauses, especially where the relative pronoun is dropped (eg This is the shirt (that) I'm going to wear.

Why is the relative pronoun not dropped in sentences with when (time) and where (place)? Examples:

December is the month when I usually go on holiday. ("December is the month I usually go on holiday" sounds OK to me!)

Thanks,

Greystroke

Firstly, note that we don't put a space after an opening bracket. It should (when correct) like this! See my corrections in red above.

Secondly, we do drop the "when" and "where" quite frequently. There is nothing wrong with "December is the month I usually go on holiday" or "Goa is the place I always feel most relaxed".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Greystroke

As a general rule, a relative pronoun cannot be omitted when it is the subject of the following relative clause. In other cases it is often, but not always, optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.