• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

buttoned-up?

"Unlike their salacious red wine sisters, white wine gals put out a vibe that's a bit more buttoned-up..."
    (from http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...wirl-0603.html)

What does "buttoned-up" mean when referring to wines?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: buttoned-up?

The term buttoned-up is not referring to wines. It is referring to the white wine gals. The columnist that wrote that article was comparing the white wine gals to the red wine sisters.

In this situation, buttoned-up is used to describe the white wine gals as being more conservative than the red wine sisters.

Examples of conservative:

Your Grandmother is more conservative than your parents. Your parents are probably more conservative than you are.

Sally's Mother will not let her wear a dress that shows her knees. Her Mother is too conservative.
    Last edited by Blax; 03-Mar-2006 at 10:38.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I misunderstood that article!

How about this:

"The relatively high acidity of the vintage still has this wine fairly buttoned up on the palate, but the nose and length insistently demonstrate the profundity that is soon to come."
    (from http://www.aoweb.com/beak97.html)

I've actually read some other articles before using "buttoned up" to describe wines and have been wondering what this phrasal verb means in this kind of contexts...

• Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I see your problem here Eway with understanding buttoned-up in this case. Your question can be answered in a full written book for this topic is very interesting and can be very educational. However, I will give you a quick lesson on this and if you wish to pursue more education on wines and terms, just let me know.

First off you should understand that wine tasters/testers are poets in their own right. Everyone, everyday, does not use the English terms and phrases they use. Some, like me, think it is an art not only to have the ability to taste/test wines, but also to describe them in a high-class manner. A gifted wine taster/tester can make you feel like a millionaire even though you may not be.

Ok, your question:

Buttoned-up in this sentence:
    "The relatively high acidity of the vintage still has this wine fairly buttoned up on the palate, but the nose and length insistently demonstrate the profundity that is soon to come."

Has the same meaning of conservative but used differently. I will explain. They are describing the wines taste as being small or little because of the acidity when the wine is on your palate. Even though the taster/tester makes it sound like a good thing, it is not.

Wine simple explanation of terms used here:
    Acidity: Describes how sour the wine taste.
    Palate: Your tongue. Where you taste.
    Nose: The smell (odor) of the wine.
    Length: How long the wines taste stays with you after swallowing.

In short, they describe the taste being small when you first drink it, but the smell and the aftertaste are strong.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, Blax.