Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Like....the "god" in "godfather", and the "full" in "full brother" and "-in-law". How do you call these parts in the three examples? A root or a affix? or other term?
I'm writing a paper about the compositions of English kinship terms. and i even can't clearly classify them....
Help!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Like....the "god" in "godfather", and the "full" in "full brother" and "-in-law". How do you call these parts in the three examples? A root or an affix? Or is there another term?
I'm writing a paper about the compositions of English kinship terms. And I even can't clearly classify them....
Help!

See my amendments above.

Thank you for using a meaningful thread title.

Esperanza_

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you........

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like....the "god" in "godfather", and the "full" in "full brother" and "-in-law". How do you call these parts in the three examples? A root or a affix? or other term?
I'm writing a paper about the compositions of English kinship terms. and i even can't clearly classify them....
Help!

I am not certain about the terminology, but here are some thoughts. "Godfather" is a compound noun formed from two nouns. Some would call "God" an attributive noun (acting as an adjective). In "full brother" there are two separate words, with "full" being an adjective modifying "brother". "In-law" is a bit tricky. It can be classified as a noun (standing alone) but that is from back formation from the compounds xxx-in-law. In the original compounds, "in law" is an adjective which is one of the few that are used only postpositively. Based on the previous, I wouldn't consider any of these to be affixes.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm writing a paper about the compositions of English kinship terms. and i even can't clearly classify them...
If it's any consolation, this native speaker and fairly experienced teacher would not find this easy. I will just say that, for me, 'full brother' is not a natural expression. If it were I'd say that 'full' was an adjective.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's any consolation, this native speaker and fairly experienced teacher would not find this easy. I will just say that, for me, 'full brother' is not a natural expression. If it were I'd say that 'full' was an adjective.

In AmE, we use full brother sometimes, particularly when a family has stepbrothers, half brothers and full brothers.

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In AmE, we use full brother sometimes, particularly when a family has stepbrothers, half brothers and full brothers.
Thanks.

There is no doubt in my mind that 'full' is an adjective. I would hyphenate 'half-brother' and not hyphenate 'stepbrother'. I am not sure whether or not this makes any difference to the labelling. I am relieved that I am going on holiday in a couple of hours, and can leave the resolution of this to others.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks.

There is no doubt in my mind that 'full' is an adjective. I would hyphenate 'half-brother' and not hyphenate 'stepbrother'. I am not sure whether or not this makes any difference to the labelling. I am relieved that I am going on holiday in a couple of hours, and can leave the resolution of this to others.

Some dictionaries hyphenate half brother; others do not.

Enjoy your holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.