Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello all, I'm a non-native speaker.I wonder if there is any difference between "Thank you." and "I appreciate it." in American English.Thank you for your contribution!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello all, I'm a non-native speaker.I wonder if there is any difference between "Thank you." and "I appreciate it." in American English.Thank you for your contribution!

It depends on the context/situation. For example, you would not expect a clerk in a store to say "I appreciate it" following a sale. You would often hear the terms used together in a situation where Person A. has done something or agrees to do something for someone and Person B. says, "Thank you. I appreciate it".

Lydia Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I’ve seen a post by aBritish English speaker who said “I appreciate it.” implies that Person B.recognizes the value of something done by Person A. and expresses positivefeelings about the favor in contrast to “Thank you.”? Does this usage exist inAmerican English, too? Any answers would be appreciated.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Thank you" is automatic. It can be very sincere or it can be a throw-away line. "I appreciate it" is certainly a deliberate thing to say. Depending on tone, context, gestures, etc., a simple "Thank you" can be just a appreciative.

Lydia Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Thank you" is automatic. It can be very sincere or it can be a throw-away line. "I appreciate it" is certainly a deliberate thing to say. Depending on tone, context, gestures, etc., a simple "Thank you" can be just a appreciative.
Thanks for your explanation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.