• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Each time she makes a successful free throw

The answer for this question is 5, but 5's Each time she makes a successful free throw sounds kind of vague. It's not when she make a successful shot, but when she steps onto the court to try a shot that the spectators cheer for her. I think "make a shot" and "try a shot" is different, what do you think?
    And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).

6)Despite her initial hesitation, Cylie herself is now extremely happy about the rule that was designed especially for her. Now Cylie enjoys being part of a team again and is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills. She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row. But most importantly, she knows that none of this would ever have happened without the support and encouragement of her teammates, all of whom have grown particularly close to one another. “We’re all like sisters,” explained one. “We’re a big family.” So each time Cylie steps onto the basketball court to take free throws, the spectators cheer wildly - not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.
    Q. Which doesn't belong to the passage? 5
    1. Initially, she was hesitant about her role.
    2.She is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills.
    3. So far, she has made eight successful free throws.
    4. She deeply felt the love of her teammates.
    5. Each time she makes a successful free throw, the spectators cheer wildly.

charliedeut is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Each time she makes a successful free throw

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    The answer for this question is 5, but 5's Each time she makes a successful free throw sounds kind of vague. It's not when she makes a successful shot, but when she steps onto the court to try a shot that the spectators cheer for her. Your reasoning is correct. Therefore, #5 is the correct answer. I think "make a shot" and "try a shot" is different, what do you think?IMO, in this context, "try" means just throwing the ball towards the basket, while "make" means actually scoring the shot.
    And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).Eight in a row is her record so far; so, no, she has not made more.

6)Despite her initial hesitation, Cylie herself is now extremely happy about the rule that was designed especially for her. Now Cylie enjoys being part of a team again and is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills. She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row. But most importantly, she knows that none of this would ever have happened without the support and encouragement of her teammates, all of whom have grown particularly close to one another. “We’re all like sisters,” explained one. “We’re a big family.” So each time Cylie steps onto the basketball court to take free throws, the spectators cheer wildly - not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.
    charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't "eight in a row" a part of her total shots so far? She could have made 8 in a row, 5 in a row, 3 in a row, or just one shot between other shots. So the sentence could imply there have been other types of shots as well, but I'm not sure.

And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).Eight in a row is her record so far; so, no, she has not made more.

charliedeut is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't "eight in a row" a part of her total shots so far? She could have made 8 in a row, 5 in a row, 3 in a row, or just one shot between other shots. So the sentence could imply there have been other types of shots as well, but I'm not sure.
    It means that, every time she went to the free throw line, she scored. That went on for eight free throws in a row. Note that, in basketball, there must be plays between free throws, as these are only granted to a player who received a foul (except for those granted after a Technical Foul is called for disrespect to the referees, for example. In such case, the head coach can choose which player will shoot them).
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot! But if any other native speaker feels this is only part of her records, please let me know. But for now, I firmly believe it's the only record she has made so far as charlie said.

She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row.

tzfujimino is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello.
    I'd choose 3, which I think is not mentioned in the passage.

So far, she has made eight successful free throws.

I interpret the sentence above as follows:

"So far, (in her life) she has made (only) eight successful free throws.", which is different from

"She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots(=free throws) in a row."

What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the opposite opinion of his, it's actully quite confusing. I'd rather find out her records on the Internet or ask anyone related to give me the information.

tzfujimino is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the opposite opinion of his, it's actully quite confusing. I'd rather find out her records on the Internet or ask anyone related to give me the information.
    Hello again.

I'm not really sure if my interpretation is the opposite of charlie's, but I agree that we need some help from native speakers.

Let me rephrase the sentence in question.

"So far, (in her life) she has made free throws (only) eight times. (They are all successful.)"

The sentence does not mention her personal record. It does mention her experience as a basketball player so far.

I might be wrong, but that is how I interpret it.

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The answer for this question is 5, but 5's Each time she makes a successful free throw sounds kind of vague. It's not when she make a successful shot, but when she steps onto the court to try a shot that the spectators cheer for her. I think "make a shot" and "try a shot" is different, what do you think?
    And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).

Option #3 is not specified in the text. The reference is to the number of successful shots in a row (those shots taken one after the other, totaling eight), not the total number of shots she has taken during her athletic career. Option #5 is flawed because the reference is to when she takes free throws, not when she makes a successful free shot. Option #4 is suspicious because feeling "love" is not the same as being "like sisters", or, "We're a big family".

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, I'd like to know the difference among the three.
    1.take a free throw(shot) - Does this mean "just to be given a chance to throw a shot"?
    2.make a successful free shot - "suceed in free shot"?
    3.fail a free shot - how do you say the opposite of 2?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast