Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
At the end of a formal letter I saw this sentence: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.'
I think the original sentence is 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful and I would be greatly appreciated.

Am I right? 'I' can be omitted?

Rick S.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
At the end of a formal letter I saw this sentence: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.'
I think the original sentence is 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful and I would be greatly appreciated.

Am I right? 'I' can be omitted?

Hello. You have asked if 'I' can be omitted, but actually the original sentence did not contain 'and I'. The original sentence was as you originally posted: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.' All the words between 'Your' and 'beautiful' make one long subject: (Subject) Your-helping-keep-our-neighborhood-clean-and-beautiful....(predicate) would be greatly appreciated. If you want to use 'I' with 'appreciate', the passive is not appropriate. The active is used instead. For example, 'I would greatly appreciate your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful.' Anyway, I hope that helps!
Rick S.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello. You have asked if 'I' can be omitted, but actually the original sentence did not contain 'and I'. The original sentence was as you originally posted: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.' All the words between 'Your' and 'beautiful' make one long subject: (Subject) Your-helping-keep-our-neighborhood-clean-and-beautiful....(predicate) would be greatly appreciated. If you want to use 'I' with 'appreciate', the passive is not appropriate. The active is used instead. For example, 'I would greatly appreciate your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful.' Anyway, I hope that helps!
Rick S.

My problem is about the first part of the sentence: Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.

I think it was 'Your helping of keeping our neighborhood....' OR 'Your helping that you keep our neighborhood....'

Thanks,
ata

Status
Not open for further replies.