Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

I would like to ask a question about the expression backing instrument as opposed to the (probably much more common) term leading instrument. I found this in the Wikipedia article about the lead instrument - and it occurs at times on the web, but rather on some private pages, in blogs et cetera (according to my really cursory Google search at least).

Is it a technical term in English music terminology? Could somebody tell me more about the topic?

Thanks for information

David

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

While the terms make sense, I don't think I've heard them used before. Most of the band usually plays harmony, while only one or two groups, or perhaps a soloist, will be playing melody. However, I can't think of a specific term for folks who play harmony and those who play melody. I think if you were to say "lead instrument", musicians would think of the top player in a section. I don't know about "backing instrument". Some artists do hire what's known as a backup band (a group of professional musicians) to record with them on an album or play behind them for a concert.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Lead vocals', 'lead guitar' etc. In 'Leading tenor Andrea Bocelli' the 'leading' refers to something other than the musical arrangement.

I have heard (and used) 'backing vocals','backing instrument' etc. (I wouldn't say 'backing guitar' - because I think it's too good for that - but that's because I'm a guitarist. The noun 'backing' is fine; in his first album, Leonard Cohen played the backing on guitar.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.