• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

that or where or something else?

Dear teachers,

Just now my former student texted me asking a question about the following mutiple-choice question:

It was at our college library ____ I borrowed the novel.

A. which B. in which C. that D. where

I think the correct choice is C and my reason is that this sentence uses the structure of "It is ... that/which/who..." to emphasize the part of "at our college library". However, after I gave my answer to this former student via my cell phone, I browsed the Internet and found that this question is posted online and that some guys insist that D, rather than C, is correct. Anyway, their reasons are not convincing and I still think my answer is correct. So, I would like you, especially native speakers of English, to help me with this multiple-choice question and give your reason(s). BTW, do you native speakers say "at our college library"? If you say "at a library", then what is the difference between "borrow books from a library" and "borrow books at a library"? Thanks a lot.

Richard
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 16-Jul-2013 at 10:59.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: that or where or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    Dear teachers,

Just now my former student texted me asking a question about the following mutiple-choice question:

A. which B. in which C. that D. where

I think the correct choice is C and my reason is that this sentence uses the structure of "It is ... that/which/who..." to emphasize the part of "at our college library". However, after I gave my answer to this former student via my cell phone, I browsed the Internet and found that this question is posted online and that some guys insist that D, rather than C, is correct. Anyway, their reasons are not convincing and I still think my answer is correct. So, I would like you, especially native speakers of English, to help me with this multiple-choice question and give your reason(s). BTW, do you native speakers say "at our college library"? And what is the difference between "borrow books from a library" and "borrow books at a library"? Thanks a lot.

Richard
    I would use "that", if I had to choose. However, I find "I borrowed the novel from the college library" much more natural.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

'Where' or 'at which' would only be correct if there was a comma, and the meaning would be different:
    "It was at our college library, where I borrowed the novel." This means that something else was at the college library, and incidentally, that's where I borrowed the novel. Without a comma, it has to mean what bhaisahab has said, and 'that' is the only alternative.

ptetpe is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a cleft sentence, which has an adjunct realized by the prepositional phrase "at our college library" as its focused element. Hence "that" is correct.
    If this was a relative clause,with "our college library" as a fairly specific antecedent, I wonder if the following paraphrase is correct?

It was our college library where I borrowed the novel from.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptetpe View Post
    This looks like a cleft sentence, which has an adjunct realized by the prepositional phrase "at our college library" as its focused element. Hence "that" is correct.
    If this was a relative clause,with "our college library" as a fairly specific antecedent, I wonder if the following paraphrase is correct?

It was our college library where I borrowed the novel from.
    No, it isn't.