[Vocabulary] Why is it 'smoothie' and not 'smoothy'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieterj62

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
For my work I have to check menues of restaurants and today a came along the word 'smoothie'. Although I find the spelling of this drink both with ie and y, I am confused what the correct spelling is. Smoothie seems to be the right spelling, but why isn' t it one smoothy, two smoothies, as in hobby/hobbies?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

Probably someone with a deeper knowledge (are you around, BobK? ;-)) might be able to tell you.

Online Etymology Dictionary
Online Etymology Dictionary

To me, the only apparent difference is that "smoothie" was coined/introduced much later, probably ignoring the "rules" that made up words like "hobby". However, as I said, I'm no expert.

PS: note that the plural of "menu" is "menus", not "menues".

Last edited:

Kathvit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Belgium
Honestly speaking? I don't think there is an etymological reason for the spelling of smoothie with an ie instead of a y. It just looks cool on menus.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think there's any good reason for it. That's just how whoever coined the word decided to spell it. I don't think it looks particularly "cool" either way. It's just a word.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think that smoothie first entered the English language in the USA via Mexico, where a smoothie is a licuado, an extremely popular drink there. In translating licuado into English, the problem was that smoothy already had a quite different meaning in AmE.

See for example Smoothy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Thus smoothie had to be pressed into service.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In translating licuado into English, the problem was that smoothy already had a quite different meaning in AmE.

It has the same meaning in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.