Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you get what after this, therefore because of this means? Does "this" mean "success" and "this" mean "expensive cars"? It's hard to understand.

26)Logic is the set of rules for valid reasoning. If you use correct logic and valid assumptions, then you will come to correct conclusions. Perhaps the simplest rule of logic is the transitive one: Napoleon was French. All French are European. Therefore, Napoleon was European. Consider the following example of drawing an invalid conclusion from a correlation between two things: People who are successful drive expensive cars. Therefore, the best way to become successful is to buy an expensive car. This type of incorrect logic has the technical name post hoc ergo propter hoc, Latin for “after this, therefore because of this.” In everyday terms, it is a case of putting the cart before the horse . Logic has an extensive and well-defined set of rules and guidelines, many of which are all too easy to unintentionally violate.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Doctors are clever(BrE)/smart(AmE). Therefore if I become a doctor I will become clever.

That is another example of what post hoc ergo propter hoc means.

I agree that the proposed translation in your source
“after this, therefore because of this” is not very clear. The point is that the fact that A precedes B does not imply that A is the cause of B.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The translation is literal from the Latin. Post hoc ergo propter hoc literally means "after this, therefore because of this."

Yes, it requires more explantion or examples, but it is not a bad translation.

Lots of people carried an umbrella today. Then it rained. Therefore, people carrying umbrellas caused it to rain. After this (carrying unbrellas), it rained. Therefore because of this (carrying umbrellas) it rained.

It's a fallacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.