Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can 'dear' be considered as a title? So it must be capitalized for D?

For example when I want to start writing a formal letter if I like to start with 'hello':
Hello Dear Sir. Bahrami,
OR
Hello dear Sir. Bahrami,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can 'dear' be considered as a title? So it must be capitalized for D?

For example when I want to start writing a formal letter if I like to start with 'hello':
Hello Dear Sir. Bahrami,
OR
Hello dear Sir. Bahrami,

You should capitalise "Dear" but that is because it should be the first word of the greeting. We don't start letters like this with "Hello".

Dear Sir Bahrami

I am writing to you because ...

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You should capitalise "Dear" but that is because it should be the first word of the greeting. We don't start letters like this with "Hello".

Dear Sir Bahrami

I am writing to you because ...

So if I am to write dear Bahrami at the middle of my sentence it is not capitalized. Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So if I am to write dear Bahrami at the middle of my sentence it is not capitalized. Am I right?

Can you give an example of how you would include "dear Bahrami" in the middle of a sentence? You said this is a formal letter. Using "dear" as an endearment in a formal letter to someone who you have said holds the title "Sir" (not just "Mr") seems rather odd.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can you give an example of how you would include "dear Bahrami" in the middle of a sentence? You said this is a formal letter. Using "dear" as an endearment in a formal letter to someone who you have said holds the title "Sir" (not just "Mr") seems rather odd.

I have only two options: 'Hello dear Mr. Bahrami' and 'Hello Dear Mr. Bahrami'
You know we usually start greeting and salutations with hello. Please consider this as an obligation.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You know we usually start greeting and salutations with hello. Please consider this as an obligation.

Who is obliging you to start a salutation with a "hello"? You have already been told this is not the way English speakers write.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If you are going to start your letter with the four words "Hello", "dear", "Mr" and "Bahrami", then I can't advise you any further. That would not be the way any English speaker would start a letter so if you choose to go ahead, then you might as well just choose any combination of words and capitalisation you like.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Who is obliging you to start a salutation with a "hello"? You have already been told this is not the way English speakers write.

This multiple choice question here which is not made by native people. Thanks every one however.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Was this homework?
No, I am a teacher and we sometimes discuss non-native-made questions to find it out whether they are possible in English or not.
As I mentioned before greeting or salutations starting with Salaam is usual in our local culture and we consider hello as the translation of it, so it makes sense to say 'Hello my dear friend Mr. Bahrami' here.
Furthermore I didn't find any grammar error in it.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
It's not the matter of grammar it's the matter of what natives say and write in those situations. I do agree with whatever emsr2d2 has mentioned here. That's what we use in our culture and language, and you shouldn't insist on using that in a formal letter, even if there's nothing wrong with grammar. That's English style of letter writing, not Persian style.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you absolutely had to do it, I would capitalize all the words.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
It's not the matter of grammar it's the matter of what natives say and write in those situations. I do agree with whatever emsr2d2 has mentioned here. That's what we use in our culture and language, and you shouldn't insist on using that in a formal letter, even if there's nothing wrong with grammar. That's English style of letter writing, not Persian style.

But it is something usual in different letters in different cultures dear Moonlike when they write English letters, as we can see in a variety of different formal letters. As I communicate with different professors worldwide they totally use different styles in salutations and I think their own cultures of greeting are all respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.