Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 1,319
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    I think sometimes I shouldn't be so careful about trivial changes in structure but to be sure I come here. These are the sentences I think are correct.

    1. Smoking should either be banned or restricted.
    2. Smoking should be either banned or restricted.
    3. Smoking should either be banned or be restricted.

    Would you please select the correct ones with your precious help in making reasons?
    Thanks,

  1. probus's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 2,327
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    They are all correct, natural and perfectly comprehensible.

    To me, 1 is the most natural. It is impossible to give reasons for one`s choice of the most natural. The judgment comes from the sum total of a lifetime spent hearing and speaking your native tongue. And therefore it depends on where you spent your life. I think that 3 is a close second to 1 and 2 is slightly less natural, but I suspect that native speakers from elsewhere may well have other opinions.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 1,319
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    They are all correct, natural and perfectly comprehensible.

    To me, 1 is the most natural. It is impossible to give reasons for one`s choice of the most natural. The judgment comes from the sum total of a lifetime spent hearing and speaking your native tongue. And therefore it depends on where you spent your life. I think that 3 is a close second to 1 and 2 is slightly less natural, but I suspect that native speakers from elsewhere may well have other opinions.
    Thank you for the comment and for the LIKEs. You know even your simple answers are worth so much to us because I need them for my classes. Thanks again. <3

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    1 is incorrect (representing ungrammatical *Smoking should be banned or smoking should restricted.)
    3 is correct but needlessly wordy.

    Hence #2 is best.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    1 is the most natural.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,147
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    I think sometimes I shouldn't be so careful about trivial changes in structure but to be sure I come here. These are the sentences I think are correct.

    1. Smoking should either be banned or restricted.
    2. Smoking should be either banned or restricted.
    3. Smoking should either be banned or be restricted.

    Would you please select the correct ones with your precious help in making reasons?
    Thanks,
    1 or 2 is best.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    1 is the most natural.
    I'm afraid not, unless your definition of 'best' includes solecisms.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    I'm afraid not, unless your definition of 'best' includes solecisms.
    I didn't use the word "best", I said it was the most natural.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    That is true; you did (someone else referred to it as 'best').

    However, I don't believe that we should be giving tacit approval to structurally unsound sentences - no matter how commonly natives may inadvertently produce them - without at least pointing out their unsoundness!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 1,319
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Paired Conjunction: either -- or

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    That is true; you did (someone else referred to it as 'best').

    However, I don't believe that we should be giving tacit approval to structurally unsound sentences - no matter how commonly natives may inadvertently produce them - without at least pointing out their unsoundness!
    I should mention that the sentence No. 1, which is under discussion here, is from one of the advanced references we use here for our ESL classes.
    SUMMIT by Joan Saslow and Allen Ascher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. questions about "paired conjunctions"
    By fire fly in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Apr-2010, 13:12
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Apr-2008, 13:46
  3. paired activity
    By mleonardi in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2007, 18:43
  4. Paired Words
    By suglitter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2007, 18:13
  5. paired structures
    By curious in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2006, 07:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •