Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy just wanna know that what should i do right now!

I'm facing a problem right now.i feel afraid to speak up(english) in front of a large group,i feel so embarrass as i can't speak english fluently or proper english.I'm a 1st year student nurse in Singapore but my english speaking is really very lousy as i do not have any environment to speak up in my country(Malaysia).However, i'm now have a chance but i feel so afraid,nervous and embarrass to speak up.What should i do?Indeed, i have already experienced quite a lot of presentation in my tutorial group but most of the time i always memorize it.Please help me!please...
    Last edited by yen yee; 12-Mar-2006 at 11:50.

kahhong is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

Hello yen yee.. i understand what you're trying to explain... perhaps, i think it is normal when we nervous towards the presentation. Most of the female in my class they did their presentation not very well, although we are classmate over a year.. i have that expirienced too.. Try to relax yourself 1st... Be nature when you make a presentation... try not to memorize but understand what you want to present.. I used to memorize when i made presentation, but after i observed some presenter who are good in presentation, then you will know what should and should'nt. i understand what are the factors they become so successfully when they make presentation.
    the main factor is they know what message they want to deliver to their audiences..

My advise is you try to look for a presentation tips and techniques book to increase your knowledge.

It is good you ask this question. You're trying to improve your presentation skills. All the best yen yee.. If there are any problem, get back to me.. i will try my best to help you. I Like PrEsEnTaTiOn although it nervous me..
    Last edited by kahhong; 05-Mar-2006 at 10:35.

matilda Guest

Talking Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

mydear friend
    although you may think i'm mad, but mirrir is my best friend in speaking.
    i'm living in Iran, and i have the same situation as you have. i always practice my lectures with a mirrir . i stand at the front of a mirror and say whatever i want to say at the class. it can be a good way of presenting your lectures.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

Matilda is giving you a good advive about talking in front of the mirror to practice your speech.
    You also need to remember and put this in your mind every time you have an oral presentation; The audience in front of you are in the same situation and you can learn from each other. No one there eccept the teacher will grade you. Feel free to speak because that is the only way you will learn from your own mistake. Relax. Go straight to the point. Do not memorized to much, because your nerviouness will get to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

i just want to say thanks for you guys>>Kah hong,matilda and carmencita..
    i feel so great to be a member here(^,*)>>>

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

First of all, you will not be expected to get your presentation word perfect, so try not to concentrate on that aspect. Secondly, sit down and think about what it is you are being asked to do. How long is the presentation? I guess probably no more than five or ten minutes. Then break down your presentation into easy sections. For instance, take two minutes to introduce yourself and the subject of your presentation. Tell your audience that you will leave two minutes at the end for questions or discussion. There! you have reduced the body of the presentation to six minutes or so. Of that six minutes take your time and use key words to help you keep on track (you can write them on a card) Practise a few times and try and make sure you get the grammar correct. Remember, practice makes perfect.

If you wish, send me a transcript and I will help you to get it right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon
    First of all, you will not be expected to get your presentation word perfect, so try not to concentrate on that aspect. Secondly, sit down and think about what it is you are being asked to do. How long is the presentation? I guess probably no more than five or ten minutes. Then break down your presentation into easy sections. For instance, take two minutes to introduce yourself and the subject of your presentation. Tell your audience that you will leave two minutes at the end for questions or discussion. There! you have reduced the body of the presentation to six minutes or so. Of that six minutes take your time and use key words to help you keep on track (you can write them on a card) Practise a few times and try and make sure you get the grammar correct. Remember, practice makes perfect.
    If you wish, send me a transcript and I will help you to get it right
    thanks a lot,u're very nice.However,i think for my coming presentation is just can consider a short talk,because i have to talk in front of the 14people and for my preparation days are quite short.As i having my attachment in hospital now,so my clinical instructor requested us to present a patient's case study for a coming week but we will change our cubicle every week.In short, i just can choose my case study on next monday and i only have 2days to prepare for my short presentation.
    Well, i hope that you can understand my broken english above.
    Of course, i hope u can tell me what should i do so that i can get rid of those nervousness,embarrassing and fearfulness.Because of my english problem, i think 2days are absolutely not enough for me.I'm so worry about it.

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, If it helps I am a qualified nurse (Registered Nurse, Registered mental health Nurse) in UK, so maybe the 'jargon' won't be a problem so if you want to pass me some rough ideas about context- Is it about tratment, planning etc. then maybe we can get it together. Just let me know if there are any little bits of help and i will do my best

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon
    Hey, If it helps I am a qualified nurse (Registered Nurse, Registered mental health Nurse) in UK, so maybe the 'jargon' won't be a problem so if you want to pass me some rough ideas about context- Is it about tratment, planning etc. then maybe we can get it together. Just let me know if there are any little bits of help and i will do my best
    okay.Thanks a lot.After i choose my case study then i get some problems>>>I may need ur help.I feel so pleasure to be a member here.Well, nice to meet u(Nursing jargon).Good nite, because in malaysia now is 2:22am already.

matilda Guest

Talking Re: just wanna know that what should i do right now!

and remember s.th else.
    Your teacher is the only person in the class who is listening to you, because he is the only person who wants to give you a grade. other students laught at the movie they've seen the nigt before, talking about their favorite actor/actress, or eating nuts, as we all do when others are giving lectures.

so, don't be affrais. Realx and KNOW that your teacher, ( who is the only listener of the class ), knows your level and understands your try for the lecture.

Hope you present your lecture in the best way

Matilda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast