Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Good day. My name is Julia, I'm from Ukraine. I'm keep training to improove my english, that's why i'm trying to translate some texts. I'm just wondering if i'm dooing well. Thanx in advance for your kind help.

(Cry).(Sound of backwinding). (Terrible knocking and roar, followed immediately by a frightened whisper.) My God, what's going on, what's happening?! (Cry). (Sound of backwinding). If someone listens to this recording, drop everything and run out of the house! Only horror and death are waiting you here! My husband went down to the basement to turn the electricity on 2 days ago. And then therefrom rang out such terrible sounds, and then he shouted, long and as awful as if he had seen death itself. (Cry). (Sound of backwinding) That creature that got Jimmy still behind the door of my room, I'm afraid to get out from under the table... (sounds of backwinding). (the sound of blows at the door and roaring). It soon gonna break to me, be aware this house is one big trap, I just realized that there was no second cousin's uncle, that I never had him, but it was too late.. (sound of the broken door, girl’s scream). Hissing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good day. My name is Julia, I'm from Ukraine. I'm [strike]keep[/strike] training to [STRIKE]improove[/STRIKE] improve my english, that's why I'm trying to translate some texts. I'm just wondering if i'm [STRIKE]dooing[/STRIKE] doing well. [STRIKE]Thanx[/STRIKE] Thanks in advance for your kind help.

(Cry).(Sound of backwinding). (Terrible knocking and roar, followed immediately by a frightened whisper.) My God, what's going on, what's happening?! (Cry). (Sound of backwinding). If someone listens to this recording, drop everything and run out of the house! Only horror and death are waiting for you here! My husband went down to the basement to turn the electricity on 2 days ago. And then [STRIKE]therefrom[/STRIKE] from there rang out such terrible sounds, and then he shouted, long and as awful as if he had seen death itself. (Cry). (Sound of backwinding) That creature that got Jimmy is still behind the door of my room, I'm afraid to get out from under the table... (sounds of backwinding). (The sound of blows at the door and roaring). It is soon gonna break in and get to me, be aware this house is one big trap, I just realized that there was no second cousin's uncle, that I never had him, but it was too late. (Sound of the broken door, girl’s scream.) Hissing.

Welcome to the forum.

Of course, without knowing what the original text said before you translated it, we have no way of knowing if the translation is accurate. Several points spring to mind:

1) Note the correct spelling of "improve".
2) Note the correct spelling of "doing".
3) What is "backwinding"?

I have made some corrections to your post in red.

Julia_P

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks a lot for your time spent on my request.
I'm curious not as much about spelling but if the sentences are built correctly. And if you can feel from my text that it's written by foreigner

Julia_P

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"backwinding" - I found this word in google translator. It means - rewinding

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Backwind is a technical term from the world of sailing. It mainly applied to square rigged ships, so it has become rare, but is still occasionally heard. It does not mean rewind.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for your time spent on my request.
I'm curious not as much about spelling but if the sentences are built correctly. And if you can feel from my text that it's written by foreigner

You may not be curious about spelling but I can assure that we are. We will correct every spelling error we find - we would not be helping people properly if we didn't. I thought that you might have meant "rewinding" simply because you mentioned "recording" so I guessed there was a tape involved. However, "backwinding" is definitely not used naturally in this context. You also wouldn't hear the sound of rewinding on a tape so I'm still not quite clear what's happening.

I would have assumed that you were not a native speaker from the use of non-standard or incorrect terms such as "backwinding" and "therefrom". It was perfectly comprehensible but I would have suspected that some kind of online translation tool had been used which would have led me to assume that you were a non-native speaker translating a foreign text.

Status
Not open for further replies.