• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grammar Help... Comparing Patterns

I need some help finding the patters between these sentences. I'll highlight the words that I'm comparing. I need to know how to word it. So here's the question: Can you figure out the pattern between the first sentence - with the particle with the particle in blue and the second group with the particle in green?

1a) Columbus, da Gama, Magellan and Cabot all set OFF for parts unknown within decades of one another.
    1b) The highly stylized design and attention to detail set off Rococo architecture for many of its less intricate predecessors.

2a) It was only after much cajoling that they came ACROSS with the money.
    2b) Rhetoric is the art of learning how to put ACROSS one's ideas as eloquently and cogently as possible.

3a) The last defenders gave IN shortly after the reinforcements arrived on the plains below.
    3b) The enormous 2010 sinkhole in Guatemala pulled IN cars, trucks, and buildings, but thankfully no people.

4a) When their luck had run out, Bonnie and Clyde went down fighting on May 23, 1934.
    4b) The inclination to help OUT another human being is a disposition that psychologists foster since it breaks DOWN many but not all barriers.

Hope someone can help. THank You!~

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grammar Help... Comparing Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by porcelain72 View Post
    I need some help finding the patters between these sentences. I'll highlight the words that I'm comparing. I need to know how to word it. So here's the question: Can you figure out the pattern between the first sentence - with the particle with the particle in blue and the second group with the particle in green?

1a) Columbus, da Gama, Magellan and Cabot all set OFF for parts unknown within decades of one another.
    1b) The highly stylized design and attention to detail set off Rococo architecture for many of its less intricate predecessors.

2a) It was only after much cajoling that they came ACROSS with the money.
    2b) Rhetoric is the art of learning how to put ACROSS one's ideas as eloquently and cogently as possible.

3a) The last defenders gave IN shortly after the reinforcements arrived on the plains below.
    3b) The enormous 2010 sinkhole in Guatemala pulled IN cars, trucks, and buildings, but thankfully no people.

4a) When their luck had run out, Bonnie and Clyde went down fighting on May 23, 1934.
    4b) The inclination to help OUT another human being is a disposition that psychologists foster since it breaks DOWN many but not all barriers.

Hope someone can help. THank You!~
    This looks a lot like a homework assignment. Is it your homework?