• English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Who are you talking to?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    I don't think so. "To whom are you talking" isn't any more proper than "Whom are you talking to?" It's entirely acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition.
    I don't think that the preposition was ever the problem. It's the who/whom distinction that euncu talking about, I believe.
    But since you've brought up "Whom are you talking to?", I'd call that bizarre, while "To whom are you talking" is just unusual (and all those other descriptions above).

The correct way of expressing in formal writing something that only occurs in speech obviously depends on the context in which you'd want to do that.

euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    ... "To whom are you talking" is just unusual (and all those other descriptions above).
    Hello Raymott,

From what I understand from your words, "To whom are you talking?" is virtually obsolete and in speech or in writing the only way that the sentence can be worded is "Who are you talking to?. Is my interpretation of what you have said on this thread so far correct?

FreeToyInside is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Hello Raymott,

From what I understand from your words, "To whom are you talking?" is virtually obsolete and in speech or in writing the only way that the sentence can be worded is "Who are you talking to?. Is my interpretation of what you have said on this thread so far correct?
    I would agree that "to whom are you talking?" is obsolete, or at least extremely outdated. "Whom are you talking to?" sounds more usual, only because Americans tend to always put prepositions at the end of sentences. I don't think it necessarily sounds unusual to say "whom", just that the speaker speaks very proper English (which may or may not be unusual depending on who(m) you ask). But by and large, modern speakers tend to say "who are you talking to?"

As a side note, I've been noticing more and more people lately trying to sound smart or proper and incorrectly use "whom" by saying something like "whom was at the door?" which drives me insane. It's the same as when they say "John went with she and I to the movies," because they learned that their natural tendency to say "me and her went with John to the movies" was incorrect. So annoying!

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Hello Raymott,

Yes, it's virtually obsolete. But I did not say that this was the only way to say it. You can say "To whom are you talking?" if you have a reason to. We've agreed that the 'whom' version can be pompous, mock-pompous, or for attempted humour, or clarification, to mention a few.
    But I can't think of any place where "Who are you talking to?" would be wrong.
    The point is, why not just use what people say? - "Who are you talking to?"
    Last edited by Raymott; 29-Jul-2013 at 11:47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2