Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello Dear Teachers;

I am a teacher trainee from Turkey. I have some questions about our occupation. I want to learn effective listening techniques to use responds of my future students in my classes. So, I want to learn attentive listening. What is attentive listening for you? and How can I use it in my classes? Can you give me some tips for better teaching?

Thank you for your consideration.

ugrksn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you so much dear José Manuel Rosón Bravo . I am so happy for being replied. Because I need to learn lot's of things from experienced teachers. We can learn lot's of things from theories, but practice and experience is the best way of making the knowledge part of our classes and our lives.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion the answer given by Jose, who is not a native speaker, much less a teacher, is misleading. Attentive listening simply means listening carefully to what the other person is saying. It is a very valuable skill in many professions.

Last edited:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
We know that attentive listening is precisely listening carefully or with a special attention.

I suggested the reading of the piece because ugrksn seems to be interested in listening techniques, and it contains some interesting descriptions of types of listening and empathy, marking out the word “attentive” for him to look up on his own.

Anyway, you are right; I should have answered more clearly.

ugrksn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
We know that attentive listening is precisely listening carefully or with a special attention.

I suggested the reading of the piece because ugrksn seems to be interested in listening techniques, and it contains some interesting descriptions of types of listening and empathy, marking out the word “attentive” for him to look up on his own.

Anyway, you are right; I should have answered more clearly.

I discover something thanks to Mr. Bravo. Actually, it is a kind of therapeutic listening. We can benefit from other sciences for teaching better such as connecting psychology and education. Because we are dealing with human being and their needs should be our interest. Our students' main concern should be just sending the message via using the language, not using the language perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.