Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm trying to find an adjective to define a man (tall and thin) who is : aloof, independent, intelligent, quiet, quick-thinker, and introverted.
I don't seem to find one that is effective :-?

Can anybody help?
Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I'm trying to find an adjective to define a man (tall and thin) who is : aloof, independent, intelligent, quiet, quick-thinker, and introverted.
I don't seem to find one that is effective :-?

Can anybody help?
Thank you in advance.

I can't believe that there is any language which has a single adjective to describe a "tall, thin, aloof, independent, intelligent, quiet, quick-thinking, introverted man". If there is a word for that in Italian, then I will be amazed!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Engineer" almost fits, except for the tall and thin part. ;-)

drw1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't believe that there is any language which has a single adjective to describe a "tall, thin, aloof, independent, intelligent, quiet, quick-thinking, introverted man". If there is a word for that in Italian, then I will be amazed!

I know, it's difficult, but "tall and thin" don't really describe his character, I mentioned them just to give an idea of the man's aspect.I was more interested in describing his character: independent, intelligent, quiet, quick-thinking, and introverted.
In Italian there are slang words that would help....But I need an English term. Thank you anyway.

drw1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
YES, "engineer" gives the idea. Unfortunately the man is a lieutenant and I'm afraid describing him as engineer would be confusing...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I think I'm missing something. What led you to the word "engineer" (which to me means either someone who fixes machinery, or a rank in the army)?
I still can't see why knowing that it is a tall, thin man was supposed to help us.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Engineering" is a profession. Not someone who fixes machines. There are various disciplines, from civil to mechanical to chemical to electrical.

They are stereotypically smart, yet socially awkward. Hence introverted and quiet, quick thinking and intelligent.

Ever watch "The Big Bang Theory"? While three of the main characters are physicists, the 4th is an engineer. The same stereotypes apply.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Engineering" is a profession. Not someone who fixes machines. There are various disciplines, from civil to mechanical to chemical to electrical.

They are stereotypically smart, yet socially awkward. Hence introverted and quiet, quick thinking and intelligent.

Ever watch "The Big Bang Theory"? While three of the main characters are physicists, the 4th is an engineer. The same stereotypes apply.

Wow. OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.