• Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The name for this department/unit please...

Hi all,

There's this institute which has got different departments in areas such as IT, Languages, Architecture, etc. They also have a department which negotiates contracts with differenet companies and organisations for these courses by sending trainers and instructors to those places. Is there any special name for such a unit? Can 'External Training Unit' be a good choice? I've happened to see this title before many times.

I'd appreciate any help.

FreeToyInside is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The name for this department/unit please...

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi all,

There's this institute which has got different departments in areas such as IT, Languages, Architecture, etc. They also have a department which negotiates contracts with differenet companies and organisations for these courses by sending trainers and instructors to those places. Is there any special name for such a unit? Can 'External Training Unit' be a good choice? I've happened to see this title before many times.

I'd appreciate any help.
    There are certain departments whose names are pretty standard: IT department, human resources department, accounts receivable department, etc. Without working in a corporate setting, I don't know of any standard name for a department that you described. Keep in mind, though, that specialized departments like this one might not exist at many companies, so the company that does have such a unit can name it however they feel would be appropriate. Departments that do that kind of work might have different names depending on the company.

'External training unit' sounds fine to me, although it doesn't necessarily imply that contract negotiations take place. The name merely implies that there's a group of trainers who are sent to various off-site locations to do training (and it's probably assumed that there's a contract with the outside company to do so).

Are you trying to translate the name of this department from another language? If so, I would wonder what the literal translation from that language into English would be.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! As long as the general meaning of the title is concerned then, according to your interpretation, I think 'External Training Unit' is fine. However, in terms of language and since it's interesting for me too, I'll give you the wording in Persian and how it can be translated word by word:

'Departmane Amuzeshhaye Borun-Sazmani'; 'Amuzesh = Training, Education', 'Borun = Outside, External', and 'Sazmani = Organisational'

I wish I knew the word for 'Borun-Sazmani' which is the antonym of 'Intra-organisational', so that it would fit in the title.

SlickVic9000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How about "The Department of Extra-organizational Training"? I reckon it's a bit more long winded than "External Training Unit", though. As FTI said, I don't think this is one of your standard departments, so you can call it whatever makes the most sense. You could probably get away with something as general as "Contracting Department", if you so desired. Translation is more art than science.