Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.
I want to say: "When I came out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."
I know I could say "When comming out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining.", but would this sentence also mean "When I was coming out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."? I guess that it would. If I want to emphasize that I first came out of the cafe and afterwards noticed that it was raining, may I say "When having come out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your sentences are ungrammatical.

I'd say 'When I left the cafe, I noticed it had rained' or 'When I left the cafe, I noticed it was raining' or 'When I left the cafe, I noticed it had been raining'.

Mr.Lucky_One

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks, I have corrected them.
How about the main topic? Is using perfect participle like that ungrammatical too?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"When I came out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."
This is OK.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hello.
I want to say: "When I came out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."
I know I could say "When comming out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining.", but would this sentence also mean "When I was coming out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."? I guess that it would. If I want to emphasize that I first came out of the cafe and afterwards noticed that it was raining, may I say "When having come out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining."?

Delete 'when' --> Having come out....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Having come out of the café, I noticed it was raining.

I agree with philo2009 that you can't have "When" at the start of that sentence and have it be a natural sentence.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Having come out of the café, I noticed it was raining.

I agree with philo2009 that you can't have "When" at the start of that sentence and have it be a natural sentence.

I don't agree. Of course I agree that it's fine with "Having come out..." but I think the OP's sentence is likely to be heard far more often.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't agree. Of course I agree that it's fine with "Having come out..." but I think the OP's sentence is likely to be heard far more often.

I have to disagree. I find "When having come out of the cafe I noticed it was raining" entirely unnatural.

With some punctuation and some extra information at the end of the sentence, it's possible: When, having come out of the café, I noticed it was raining, I decided to get a taxi home.

Of course I agree that "When I came out of the café, I noticed it was raining" is more likely to be heard but philo was commenting (I believe on "When having come out of the cafe ...")

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have to disagree. I find "When having come out of the cafe I noticed it was raining" entirely unnatural.

With some punctuation and some extra information at the end of the sentence, it's possible: When, having come out of the café, I noticed it was raining, I decided to get a taxi home.

Of course I agree that "When I came out of the café, I noticed it was raining" is more likely to be heard but philo was commenting (I believe on "When having come out of the cafe ...")

I was commenting on this: "I want to say: "When I came out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining." I didn't say anything at all about "When having come out of the cafe I noticed it was raining", which, as you say, is entirely unnatural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK!

- In post #1, the OP suggested "When having come out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining".
- In post #5, philo took that sentence and instructed the OP to remove "When", leaving "Having come out".
- In post #6, you quoted philo's post #5 suggesting that and asked "Why?" I assumed that you couldn't understand why he was suggesting that "When" should be removed from "When having come out of the cafe, I noticed it was raining".

:-D

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Because perfective participle phrases cannot be preceded by this conjunction!

The preposition 'after', on the other hand, can be inserted (After having Ved...), but is frequently redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.