Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I have read on the English learning websites that "Thank you. You shouldn't have." and "Thank you. I owe you one." can both be used to show thanks to someone. I wonder if there is any difference between them in addition to their literal meanings. Thank you for your help.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have read on the English learning websites that "Thank you. You shouldn't have." and "Thank you. I owe you one." can both be used to show thanks to someone. I wonder if there is any difference between them in addition to their literal meanings. Thank you for your help.

No difference, except that your second example would/could be considered less formal.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are significant differences, assuming that the person saying "Thank you ..." is being honest.
The first means that the gift, act, etc. was not necessary, and that it wasn't expected.
The second means that the friendship is based on keeping score. The implication is that you would be indebted to the other person if they did anything for you, or gave you something.
But be aware that phrases like this have different social meanings in different English societies and subcultures. To some, they might mean nothing but "Thank you". In other cases, the implications may be more literal.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China

I feel like the biggest difference between the two is that "thanks, you shouldn't have" is a response to a gift or a favor that the speaker wasn't expecting or didn't ask for. Whereas "thanks, I owe you one" feels like the speaker asked for a favor, and this is the response to the person for doing the favor. "I owe you one" sounds like "I owe you a favor."

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't feel the same way about "I owe you one" as Ray. I feel it's more like "and hey, you know you can count on me for a favor too, you know." I don't see it as keeping score. But tone of voice matters too.

Now *I* owe YOU one - feels like keeping score.

Hey, Joe, thanks. I owe ya one, bro - feels like "I got your back like you had mine."

Status
Not open for further replies.