Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The eventual success of the first published installment of his Iliad in 1715 did not obliterate Pope’s just resentment against Addison and his “little senate,” and this resentment found expression in the damaging portrait of Addison (under the name of Atticus), which, year after it was written, was included in Pope’s Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot (1735), lines 193-214. The not unjustified attacks on Pope’s edition of Shakespeare, especially those by the learned Shakespeare scholar Lewis Theobald, led to Thepbald’s appearance as king of dunces in The Dunciad.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

Hello teachers,

I know the meanings of each word but I can’t understand the blue part as a whole.
Would you please clarify it to me?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The eventual success of the first published installment of his Iliad in 1715 did not obliterate Pope’s just resentment against Addison and his “little senate,” and this resentment found expression in the damaging portrait of Addison (under the name of Atticus), which, year after it was written, was included in Pope’s Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot (1735), lines 193-214. The not unjustified attacks on Pope’s edition of Shakespeare, especially those by the learned Shakespeare scholar Lewis Theobald, led to Thepbald’s appearance as king of dunces in The Dunciad.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

Hello teachers,

I know the meanings of each word but I can’t understand the blue part as a whole.
Would you please clarify it to me?

The Dunciad was a satire which made fun of "witless critics". Because he was angry with Theobald, Pope made him one of the characters (King of Dunces) in the Dunciad.

Status
Not open for further replies.