in no writings whatever can be found more bark ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
With the Rambler (1750-52) and the Idler (1758-60), two series of periodical essays, Johnson found a devoted audience, but his pleasure in success was tempered by the death of his wife in 1752. He never married. Boswell said of the Rambler essays that “in no writings whatever can be found more bark and steel [i.e., quinine and iron] for the mind.” Moral strength and health; the importance of applying reason to experience; the test of virtue by what we do, not what we say or “feel”; faith in God: these are the centers to which Johnson’s moral writings always return.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Hello teachers,

Would you please clarify the bold written part? I can’t understand it.

Thanks in advance.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With the Rambler (1750-52) and the Idler (1758-60), two series of periodical essays, Johnson found a devoted audience, but his pleasure in success was tempered by the death of his wife in 1752. He never married. Boswell said of the Rambler essays that “in no writings whatever can be found more bark and steel [i.e., quinine and iron] for the mind.” Moral strength and health; the importance of applying reason to experience; the test of virtue by what we do, not what we say or “feel”; faith in God: these are the centers to which Johnson’s moral writings always return.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Hello teachers,

Would you please clarify the bold written part? I can’t understand it.

Thanks in advance.

Quinine is a chemical found in the bark of the cinchona tree. When consumed, it can be useful to treat fever, inflammation, pain, and even malaria. So, by referring to bark (quinine) and steel (iron) in his writings, Boswell created the idea that the writings produced moral strength (steel/iron) and health (bark/quinine).

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a million.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a million.

I see that you have clicked the like button. That is a good thing. Once you do that it is not necessary to post a separate thank you post.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I see that you have clicked the like button. That is a good thing. Once you do that it is not necessary to post a separate thank you post.

Does it bother you when I post a separate thank?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it bother you when I post a separate thank?

The Moderators here object because it makes it appear that there are new postings added to the thread. When that happens, people feel compelled to open the thread. I know you are trying to be polite, but it affects the mechanics of the forum.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The Moderators here object because it makes it appear that there are new postings added to the thread. When that happens, people feel compelled to open the thread. I know you are trying to be polite, but it affects the mechanics of the forum.

Ok I got it. Apologies.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Furthermore, those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

(There's no need to capitalise 'moderators'.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Furthermore, those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

(There's no need to capitalise 'moderators'.)

"Moderator" is capitalized under your screen name.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So are 'Newbie' and 'Member' under other people's names, but it wouldn't be necessary to capitalise them in a sentence.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So are 'Newbie' and 'Member' under other people's names, but it wouldn't be necessary to capitalise them in a sentence.

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.